Do tokens go to the Graveyard?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do tolkens go to the Graveyard? My friend has kiki jiki mirror breaker and protean hulk out. He makes a copy of protean hulk using kiki jiki's effect (Put a copy of target nonlegendary creature into play, sacrifice at end of turn). Protean Hulk's effect is when it goes to the graveyard, search your library for creature(s) whose converted mana cost equal 6 or less. He says the token copy of Protean Hulk goes to the graveyard at the end of turn, letting him search his library for creature, i said NO! token dont go to the graveyard.

what is the proper solution?
Do tolkens go to the Graveyard? My friend has kiki jiki mirror breaker and protean hulk out. He makes a copy of protean hulk using kiki jiki's effect (Put a copy of target nonlegendary creature into play, sacrifice at end of turn). Protean Hulk's effect is when it goes to the graveyard, search your library for creature(s) whose converted mana cost equal 6 or less. He says the token copy of Protean Hulk goes to the graveyard at the end of turn, letting him search his library for creature, i said NO! token dont go to the graveyard.

what is the proper solution?

Yes, tokens do go to their appropriate zone when sent there, triggering the relevant abilities. It's just that they cease to exist shortly after if they aren't in play.

Check out the FAQ entry on tokens.
Yes.
Tokens DO get put into the appropriate zone when leaving play, triggering any abilities along the way.
Then, when State-Based Effects are checked, the Token that's not In Play ceases to exist.
[indent]216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist. This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones sets off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.)[/indent]
Yes.
Tokens DO get put into the appropriate zone when leaving play, triggering any abilities along the way.
Then, when State-Based Effects are checked, the Token that's not In Play ceases to exist.
[indent]216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist. This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones sets off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.)[/indent]

I read that rule, and didnt think the graveyard was an "in play" zone, but i guess missed that part about stated based effects and the ability triggering before it goes to the graveyard. Thanks for the feedback.
I read that rule, and didnt think the graveyard was an "in play" zone, but i guess missed that part about stated based effects and the ability triggering before it goes to the graveyard. Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct that the Graveyard isn't the In Play zone, but that is what the rule Feigel quoted is looking for; a transition from In Play to a zone that isn't In Play: When a Token moves to the graveyard, it exists in that graveyard long enough to set off any waiting triggered abilities and only then disappears into the aether.
This is true of any Token moving to any Zone.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
Sign In to post comments