[UnCon] Stump the Judge

224 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to Stump the Judge!
IMAGE(http://judge.wizards.com/images/icon-judge-2.jpg)IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/torment/stern_judge.jpg)IMAGE(http://judge.wizards.com/images/icon-judge-2.jpg)

In this contest you submit questions in this thread for me, and me alone to answer. Should I fail to answer your question correctly, you get one point. Contestants may ask 2 questions a day until the end of Saturday. On Sunday I will finish answering questions and tally the results. Winner gets a Custom Avatar with additional prizes to other top finishers possible. Please read Technical stuff and Specifics for further details.

Scoreboard
Feigel: 7
NereusRen: 7
GoblinNick: 1
Guardian_Phoenix: 1
Shining_Demon: 1
NightWolf720: 1
CarstenHaese: 2
mqj: 1
MystErikEry: 1
HendrikHaese: 1

Technical stuff and Specifics
Hey, I'm a judge. I like technical stuff!
0. Post your questions in this thread. I will reply in this thread quoting them and then giving my answer.
1. Only I, your Judge for this event, will be answering questions.
2. I will not have the assistance of the Comprules.
3. Questions must only cover card interaction rules questions. Nothing that requires Penalty Guidelines, TO Handbook, or Magic Floor Rules documents will be answered.
4. Questions must remain of reasonable size. I can't answer 50 questions if they are all a page long. And its not very sportsman to try and win because I missed one double effect from one of the 32 or so Furnace of Raths you have in play.
5. If I deem a question to be unreasonably long I will ask you to shorten it and resubmit. The rejected question will not count towards your 2/day; shortened resubmitted questions will.
6. No double jeopardy. If someone asks a particularly hard question you may not re-ask it to try and piggyback into a point. Keep questions unique.
7. If you wish to ask two question in one day please post them in the same post. It will make things easier on me.
8. When you believe I have answered a question incorrectly make a post quoting your question, my answer, your answer, and proof of your answer. If I accept I was incorrect then you will receive a point.
9. The contest ends on Saturday.
10. On Sunday I will answer any outstanding questions and contestants have a final chance to claim I answered questions incorrectly. After Sunday I will submit final results and winner(s) will be able to receive prize.
11. I can amend these rules at any time. I'll try not to, but something, such as number of questions per day, might have to change based on popularity.
12. NO UN-CARDS!
13. Question windows will be instated so I don't have to keep the thread 24/7. Times will be posted.
Sorry that was so long, but I like to cover bases.

Good Luck Everyone and don't forget to autocard!

Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
[Not Rules Question]
How exactly are We supposed to submit these questions?

Post them publicly? PM? What?
Should I fail to answer your question incorrectly...

[/nitpick] ;)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Should I fail to answer your question incorrectly, you get one point.

We get one point per correct answer you say.
Typos typos... Hold on, fixing typos. Fixed typo. Added rule 0 stating that you should post questions in this thread.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Question 1, Day 1
Player A controls a Sterling Grove and Mycosynth Lattice; Player B controls a Mogg Fanatic controls a Vedalken Orrery.

It's Player A's Main Phase.
Player B plays Disenchant targeting the Sterling Grove.
Player A plays Rebuff the Wicked targeting the Disenchant.
Player B plays Suffocating Blast targeting the Rebuff and his Mogg Fanatic.
Player A plays Confound targeting the Suffocating Blast.
Player B plays Wreak Havoc targeting the Sterling Grove.
Player A plays the Activated ability of the Sterling Grove and will fetch a Multani's Presence, when it resolves.
Player B sacrifices his Mogg Fanatic to deal 1 damage to Player A.
The Stack resolves without further incident.

In the End of Turn step, Player B plays Cerebral Vortex targets Player A.
How much damage was dealt to Player A this turn?
Well, um, I feel a bit shy, but here goes:

This is the scenario:

My opponent controls an untapped island. He has one card in his hand, Mystical Tutor, and two cards in his library (the one is blue instant and the other a black creature, but I dont know this at this point).

I play Word of Command.

What results?

a) The blue instant must be put on top of my opponents library.
b) The blue instant may be put on top of my opponents library.
c) The blue instant may not be put on top of my opponents library.
d) Something else, what?
Question 1, Day 1
Player A controls a Sterling Grove and Mycosynth Lattice; Player B controls a Mogg Fanatic controls a Vedalken Orrery.

Player A plays the Activated ability of the Sterling Grove and will fetch a Multani's Presence, when it resolves.

5 damage was dealt to A that turn.
Player A controls an animated Treetop Village and a Muraganda Petroglyphs. Player B controls a Humility. What is the animated Treetop Village's p/t and why?
Well, um, I feel a bit shy, but here goes:

This is the scenario:

My opponent controls an untapped island. He has one card in his hand, Mystical Tutor, and two cards in his library (the one is blue instant and the other a black creature, but I dont know this at this point).

I play Word of Command.

What results?

a) The blue instant must be put on top of my opponents library.
b) The blue instant may be put on top of my opponents library.
c) The blue instant may not be put on top of my opponents library.
d) Something else, what?

Well, if the tutor gets hit with the command then the answer is D. First, you have the option of failing the search. Second, you can name cards until you name the blue instant remaining in your opponent library, that card goes on top of the library.
Question 1, Day 1

5 damage was dealt to A that turn.

Wrong.

Player A was dealt 6 Damage this Turn; 1 damage by the Fanatic and 5 damage by the Vortex.
[indent]Player A Draws a Card in his Draw Step, it's his turn.
Multani's Presence's triggered twice and Player A Draws 2 Cards when his Rebuff and Counfound Spells were countered on resolution.*
Player A Draws 2 Cards when the Vortex resolves.
[indent] * 10/4/2004 Confound is countered on resolution if the targeted spell has been countered or does not still target one or more permanents that are still creatures and are still in play. Confound is different from other such spells in that it actually specifies that the spell must target a creature, not just be able to target a creature or that the spell has a certain number of targets.[/indent][/indent]
Player A controls an animated Treetop Village and a Muraganda Petroglyphs. Player B controls a Humility. What is the animated Treetop Village's p/t and why?

You've asked me this in person, you know. If I recall correctly I got it right, but for the wrong reason.

Treetop Village is a 5/5.
Order effects are applied in is:
Village becomes a creature -> Abilities get removed -> Becomes a 1/1 -> Becomes a 3/3 -> Gets Glyph bonus.
Multani's Presence's triggered twice and Player A Draws 2 Cards when his Rebuff and Counfound Spells were countered on resolution.*

How did multani's presence get into play?
, Sacrifice Sterling Grove: Search your library for an enchantment card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.

* 10/4/2004 Confound is countered on resolution if the targeted spell has been countered or does not still target one or more permanents that are still creatures and are still in play. Confound is different from other such spells in that it actually specifies that the spell must target a creature, not just be able to target a creature or that the spell has a certain number of targets.[/indent][/indent]

This tripped me up. Point for Feigel.
How did multani's presence get into play?

Did you read the scenario?
Question 1, Day 1

This tripped me up. Point for Feigel.

Were hoped it would... ;) We weren't sure it would because We were holding back some.

Can We try for another point later tonight, or is it just one point per day?
*chuckles* Feigel, read Sterling Grove again.

So, what happens when you're both wrong? :P

Empyrial Archangel is in a bin and i want to target it with Makeshift Mannequin, am i able? i mean, it has shroud, so doesn't it have shroud in the graveyard?
Did you read the scenario?

Yes. Did you?

You sacrificed sterling grove to search for multani's presence, but you never mentioned a way to put it into play from the top of your library.
I got 4 damage the first time i read it... I was really wondering what was going on when he said 5...and then got even more confused after Feigal said it was 6
Empyrial Archangel is in a bin and i want to target it with Makeshift Mannequin, am i able? i mean, it has shroud, so doesn't it have shroud in the graveyard?

The shroud ability only works while in play.
OK, Feigel and I both failed hard to RTC. Still, he asked a question I got wrong, correct answer is 4. 1 from fanatic, 3 from vortex (1 draw for turn, 2 draws from vortex) Feigel still gets a point for asking a question I got wrong.

Rules say two questions per day.
Here's a new one:
I have 2 life and 2 Islands. My opponent controls a Psychogenic Probe, a Mountain and a Boggart Forager.

My opponent sacrifices the Boggart Forager to make me shuffle my library. I awnser by playing Flash. We both pass and Flash resolves. I chose to put a Leveler into play. Assuming there are no other cards in play and everyone passes priority, will I lose the game?
I have a Mirror Gallery and 3 Krark's Thumbs in play. I play Fiery Gambit. What is the maximum amount of coins I can flip?
Here's a new one:
I have 2 life and 2 Islands. My opponent controls a Psychogenic Probe, a Mountain and a Boggart Forager.

My opponent sacrifices the Boggart Forager to make me shuffle my library. I awnser by playing Flash. We both pass and Flash resolves. I chose to put a Leveler into play. Assuming there are no other cards in play and everyone passes priority, will I lose the game?

I'll say you can shuffle an empty library. Probe triggers and deal 2 damage to you. You lose the game.
I have a Mirror Gallery and 3 Krark's Thumbs in play. I play Fiery Gambit. What is the maximum amount of coins I can flip?

You flip coins until you choose to stop flipping or lose. As long as you keep winning, you may keep flipping. There is no maximum amount.
You've asked me this in person, you know. If I recall correctly I got it right, but for the wrong reason.

Treetop Village is a 5/5.
Order effects are applied in is:
Village becomes a creature -> Abilities get removed -> Becomes a 1/1 -> Becomes a 3/3 -> Gets Glyph bonus.

Incorrect .

I might've asked you this (I've asked this one to a lot of judges. I even stumped Rashad :D). Treetop Village will be a 3/3 because:
  • Treetop Village is animated before the Humility comes into play. Effects applied in order are: Treetop Village's animation ability makes it a creature and grants it trample. Humility removes all abilities from Treetop Village. Animation ability makes Treetop Village a 3/3, Humility makes Treetop Village a 1/1. Muraganda Petroglyphs ability gives the Treetop Village +2/+2 making it a 3/3 (no abilities).

--- OR ---

• Treetop Village is animated after Humility has come into play. Effects applied in order are: Treetop Village's animation ability makes it a creature. Humility removes the mana ability from Treetop Village. Animation ability gives Treetop Village trample. Humility makes the animated Treetop Village a 1/1, then the animation ability makes the Treetop Village a 3/3. Since the Treetop Village has trample, Muraganda Petroglyphs does not apply, so once again, the Treetop Village is a 3/3 (w/ trample).
You flip coins until you choose to stop flipping or lose. As long as you keep winning, you may keep flipping. There is no maximum amount.

dang, you got me. This will be much harder than I thought. I just thought I would get the obligatory Krark's Thumb question out of the way. Now to think up a complicated scenario with Ice Cauldron.

The point is to ask real stumpers; don't give him easy, straightforward questions.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Incorrect .

I might've asked you this (I've asked this one to a lot of judges. I even stumped Rashad :D). Treetop Village will be a 3/3 because:
  • Treetop Village is animated before the Humility comes into play. Effects applied in order are: Treetop Village's animation ability makes it a creature and grants it trample. Humility removes all abilities from Treetop Village. Animation ability makes Treetop Village a 3/3, Humility makes Treetop Village a 1/1. Muraganda Petroglyphs ability gives the Treetop Village +2/+2 making it a 3/3 (no abilities).

--- OR ---

• Treetop Village is animated after Humility has come into play. Effects applied in order are: Treetop Village's animation ability makes it a creature. Humility removes the mana ability from Treetop Village. Animation ability gives Treetop Village trample. Humility makes the animated Treetop Village a 1/1, then the animation ability makes the Treetop Village a 3/3. Since the Treetop Village has trample, Muraganda Petroglyphs does not apply, so once again, the Treetop Village is a 3/3 (w/ trample).

Oh yeah, trample. Point for Nick.
D1, Q1: It is Player B's Precombat Main Phase; both players are at 4 life and 1 card in library. Player B controls a Wall of Wood. Due to a Ray of Command, player B controls a Scathe Zombies owned by player A. That Scathe Zombies is under the effect of a Frightshroud Courier controlled by player A. Player A plays Reality Ripple on the Scathe Zombies and the turn ends uneventfully. In order to win, does player A need to untap his Frightshroud Courier?

D1, Q2: Both players are at 20 life and control a Grim Poppet, each poppet with a full set of three -1/-1 counters. Each Grim Poppet is enchanted by the opponent's Incendiary. Each Incendiary has twenty fuse counters on it. Assuming neither player wishes to lose, can either player die due to damage?
I control a Guile, a Sprouting Thrinax and a Dovescape, while my opponent controls a Nullstone Gargoyle and a Thousand-Year Elixir.

She plays and resolves an Omnibian, then plays Fracturing Gust, which I respond to with Cancel. In response, she activates Omnibian, targeting Guile.

On my turn, what is the maximum amount of +1/+1 counters a Mycoloth I play could come into play with?
Player A controls Words of War; player B controls Circle of Protection: Red. Each player has 2 life and has 6 cards in his or her library.

Player A attacks with a Grizzly Bears; player B plays Holy Day.
During the end of combat step, player B plays Disenchant targeting Words of War; player A responds by playing its ability seven times, targeting player B.

During his second main phase, player A plays Wheel of Fortune. Player B responds by Twincasting the Wheel. After that resolved, he or she plays Gaea's Blessing to put three cards from his or her graveyard into his or her library and draw a card. Then he or she plays Circle of Protection: Red's ability seven times.

Who wins the game?

Contrary to the evolving trend, I'll ask a question involving just two distinct cards:

Player A controls two Bramblewood Paragons and plays and resolves Thunder-Thrash Elder. With how many +1/+1 counters can the Thunder-Thrash Elder come into play? List all possibilities.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
I use Wort, the Raidmother to conspire Jaws of Stone with six mountains in play. The original targets just the opponent. How much damage does the copy deal, and what targets can I choose?

I have Scatter the Seeds in hand, and five 1/1 colorless Myr tokens and one Grizzly Bears. How many creatures can I tap for convoke?
D1, Q1: It is Player B's Precombat Main Phase; both players are at 4 life and 1 card in library. Player B controls a Wall of Wood. Due to a Ray of Command, player B controls a Scathe Zombies owned by player A. That Scathe Zombies is under the effect of a Frightshroud Courier controlled by player A. Player A plays Reality Ripple on the Scathe Zombies and the turn ends uneventfully. In order to win, does player A need to untap his Frightshroud Courier?

Yes.

D1, Q2: Both players are at 20 life and control a Grim Poppet, each poppet with a full set of three -1/-1 counters. Each Grim Poppet is enchanted by the opponent's Incendiary. Each Incendiary has twenty fuse counters on it. Assuming neither player wishes to lose, can either player die due to damage?

As far as I can see there will come a point in which the Poppets will start throwing counters at each other, which will not stop. Given those permanents in play and nothing else, neither player will die unless they chose to do so.
Player A controls a Marsh Flitter and five 1/1 black Goblin Rogue tokens and is at seven life.
Player B controls a Silvergill Douser and 3 1/1 blue Faerie tokens and is at four life.

Player A attacks with Marsh Flitter and sacrifices a Goblin Rogue token. In response Player B targets Marsh Flitter with Silvergill Douser, giving it -4/-0. Player A allows the ability to resolve and sacrifices a 1/1 black Goblin Rogue token. How much damage did Player B take?
Well, if the tutor gets hit with the command then the answer is D. First, you have the option of failing the search. Second, you can name cards until you name the blue instant remaining in your opponent library, that card goes on top of the library.

I dont think this is correct.

4.10.2004 If used with a card that allows your opponent to search his or her library, you do not get to look through that player's library. You get to name a legal card for them to take. If it is in the library, they take it. If not, you name another card. Repeat until you name one that they have. Remember that even on-resolution decisions are made by Word of Command's player.

So, this ruling means that using Word of Command on search spell does not allow WOC's controller to search the library. Instead, it only allows the controller of WOC to name legal cards. Moreover, as per the ruling, you have to repeat the process of naming legal cards until you name the one they have.

Since the controller of WOC is not searching, only naming cards he does not have the option of "not finding" (or "finding" for that matter). He names cards until the correct one is named and put on the top of the library.

Hence, the correct result is not D, but A: "The blue instant must be put on top of my opponents library."
Day 1, Question 1
An opponent controls Leyline of the Void.
That opponent causes you discard a Quagnoth from your hand.
Where does Quagnoth end up?

Day 1, Question 2
You control Library of Leng and Skill Borrower.
An opponent causes you discard a Quagnoth from your hand.
You choose to put it on top of your library.
Where does Quagnoth end up?
I control a Guile, a Sprouting Thrinax and a Dovescape, while my opponent controls a Nullstone Gargoyle and a Thousand-Year Elixir.

She plays and resolves an Omnibian, then plays Fracturing Gust, which I respond to with Cancel. In response, she activates Omnibian, targeting Guile.

On my turn, what is the maximum amount of +1/+1 counters a Mycoloth I play could come into play with?

Ten.
I activate Karn, Silver Golem's ability targeting Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII, currently naming Red Goblin. I then play Cytoshape choosing Sarpadian Empires and targeting Sarpadian Empires.

Explain the state Sarpadian Empires is in.

If I tap Sarpadian Empires for a token (If I can), what type of token will it make (if any)?
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
Player A controls Words of War; player B controls Circle of Protection: Red. Each player has 2 life and has 6 cards in his or her library.

Player A attacks with a Grizzly Bears; player B plays Holy Day.
During the end of combat step, player B plays Disenchant targeting Words of War; player A responds by playing its ability seven times, targeting player B.

During his second main phase, player A plays Wheel of Fortune. Player B responds by Twincasting the Wheel. After that resolved, he or she plays Gaea's Blessing to put three cards from his or her graveyard into his or her library and draw a card. Then he or she plays Circle of Protection: Red's ability seven times.

Who wins the game?

Player A wins.
Sign In to post comments