Wrath of God vs. Indestructible

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Once again, conflicting opinions floating around my local card shop...

Close friend plays a treefolk deck that, of course, has 2 Timber Protector in play, so all his treefolk are indestructible.

Opponent plays Wrath of God.

Judge says that the spell does not kill the treefolk because of the indestructible rule.

Next Friday, we go to a different city because of a big sale they were having and end up playing there.

Same story as last time except this time it was a Damnation played, the judge says that the treefolk are dead because the Damnation does not directly target them, therefore the indestructible rule is ignored.

Which judge was in the wrong?
Once again, conflicting opinions floating around my local card shop...

Close friend plays a treefolk deck that, of course, has 2 Timber Protector in play, so all his treefolk are indestructible.

Opponent plays Wrath of God.

Judge says that the spell does not kill the treefolk because of the indestructible rule.

Next Friday, we go to a different city because of a big sale they were having and end up playing there.

Same story as last time except this time it was a Damnation played, the judge says that the treefolk are dead because the Damnation does not directly target them, therefore the indestructible rule is ignored.

Which judge was in the wrong?

The judge which ruled that indestructible objects were destroyed. "Indestructible" means "can not be destroyed." It does not matter if the spell or ability targets or not.

Indestructible

If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it. Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based effect (see rule 420.5c). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or removed from the game.

The ruling would be correct if the ability involved is protection, a common rulings concern. It's possible that the judge misunderstood the question and thought you were talking about protection.
So Indestructible = can only die if it has 0 toughness, so even global destruction effects can not kill them, where as Shroud and Protection from x Color can get killed by by global destruction effects?
So Indestructible = can only die if it has 0 toughness, so even global destruction effects can not kill them, where as Shroud and Protection from x Color can get killed by by global destruction effects?

Right.

Please don't bump old threads.  Start a new thread for new questions.

So Indestructible = can only die if it has 0 toughness

Not really; there are many ways to kill something that's indestructible. In fact, it's easier to look at it from the perspective of what being indestructible stops, rather than what it doesn't.

Being indestructible means it's impossible to destroy, which means that things that say "destroy" won't do anything to it, and lethal damage doesn't do anything to it either, since (normal) damage works by causing the creature to be destroyed. Absolutely everything else--bounce, legend rule, 0 toughness, exiling, shuffling it into the library--works exactly the same as normal, because nothing else involves destroying it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

if thats the case wrath of god/ day of judgement / damnation are crap and i will burn my play set of each of them and not play anymore!!!
did you really join the forums to post in a year old thread to state you're done with Magic the Gathering?
if thats the case wrath of god/ day of judgement / damnation are crap and i will burn my play set of each of them and not play anymore!!!

As a replacement effect, please send those playsets to me. I will take them free of charge. You can PM me for a mailing address.
Sign In to post comments