Does lifelink stack?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I put a Spirit Loop on a Divinity of Pride do I gain 2x the life? Also, Spirit Link doesn't specifically say Lifelink, but it does the same thing. Would Spirit Link give 2x lifelink on a Divinity of Pride? Thanks
If I put a Spirit Loop on a Divinity of Pride do I gain 2x the life? Also, Spirit Link doesn't specifically say Lifelink, but it does the same thing. Would Spirit Link give 2x lifelink on a Divinity of Pride? Thanks

Each instance of Lifelink, or the very similar ability of Spirit Link, would trigger separately and give you life totally independently of the others. The net result is that, yes, these do have a cumulative effect.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Both lifelink and the ability of Spirit Link are triggered abilities that trigger and resolve independently. You'll gain twice the life.

Do note that Spirit Link's ability does not do the same thing as giving lifelink to the enchanted creature. With Spirit Link, the controller of the Aura gains the life. With lifelink, the controller of the creature gains life. The two also differ with respect to effects that remove abilities.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
If you put Spirit Loop on a Divity of Pride you control, then both abilities will trigger when it deals combat damage. You will gain life equal to the damage it dealt, then you will again gain life equal to the damage it dealt.

Spirit Link doesn't say it gives a creature lifelink because it doesn't. It works slightly different. Lifelink gives the life to the creature's controller, while Spirit Link gives the life to the Aura's controller (and you can put Spirit Link on a creature you do not control).

EDIT: Tududududu maybe I should actually read the cards next time.
Spirit Link and Spirit Loop don't say they give a creature lifelink because they don't. They work slightly different. Lifelink gives the life to the creature's controller, while Spirit Link gives the life to the Aura's controller (and you can put Spirit Link on a creature you do not control).

Actually, Spirit Loop does give Lifelink. Since it also can only enchant a creature you control, it doesn't have the option of putting it on an opponent's creature, as Spirit Link does.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Actually, Spirit Loop does give Lifelink. Since it also can only enchant a creature you control, it doesn't have the option of putting it on an opponent's creature, as Spirit Link does.

It is worth noting that Spirit Loop received a (small) functional change when lifelink became a keyword. If you play the card as written, the life gain ability can't be Humble'd away, since the life gain was a triggered ability of the Aura. However, with the current Oracle text, the creature gains an ability, which can be Humbled away.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Sign In to post comments