Block and use tap ability at same time?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Could I assign a creature as a blocker and then right afterwards use his tap ability to destroy a second attacker, which would have gone unblocked?

If so, does the fact my blocker is now tapped affect anything else, as far as combat is concerned?

Also if I use an artifact to tap a creature in response to it performing an ability which requires it to pay mana, what happens?

Thanks guys.
Could I assign a creature as a blocker and then right afterwards use his tap ability to destroy a second attacker, which would have gone unblocked?

Yes you can do that.

If so, does the fact my blocker is now tapped affect anything else, as far as combat is concerned?

No. Under pre-6th edition rules, tapped blockers didn't deal combat damage, but that hasn't been true for years now.

Also if I use an artifact to tap a creature in response to it performing an ability which requires it to pay mana, what happens?

Usually, nothing. Once the costs are paid, the ability exists independent of the source. So, unless the ability itself specifically checked to see if the Artifact was untapped, tapping it after they've activated it won't do anything.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Thank you Ahlyis for the quick and concise reply.
I just recently began playing again after several years.
The last expansion I purchased before yesterday was Mirage if that gives you any idea, so I'm a bit out of date, and have forgotten many of the rules.

I'm looking forward to diving back in.
(and having all my old M:tg cards mailed to me, as well. hehe)
We'd reccomend the The Returning Player Rules Primer... It's perfect for you.
We'd reccomend the The Returning Player Rules Primer... It's perfect for you.

Thanks Feigel!
I will review it.
I'm not sure if my question is related, but here goes:

Some creatures have the ability to 'tap target creature'. Can I use this ability right after my opponent declares his attackers, but declare that I'm using my creature's tapping ability on one of his attacking creatures just before he attacks?
New posts in "dead" threads like this generally don't cause the thread to appear as modified.
I'm not sure if my question is related, but here goes:

Some creatures have the ability to 'tap target creature'. Can I use this ability right after my opponent declares his attackers, but declare that I'm using my creature's tapping ability on one of his attacking creatures just before he attacks?

Once your opponent declares his attackers, they are (probably) tapped, making your ability utterly pointless.
506.4b Tapping or untapping a creature that's already been declared as an attacker or blocker doesn't remove it from combat and doesn't prevent its combat damage.

If you want to do something before the declaration of attackers, you need to do it during or before the beginning of combat step.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

This is a very old thread and I apologize for opening it back up, but it is the closest thing I can think of for my question which is: I have a sacred mesa, earthcraft and wild growth on a plains. Can I tap the plains to make a token, then block with the pegasus token and use that token to untap my plains to make another token and use that token to block, and keep doing that to block all attacking creatures or must all blockers be declared at the same time?  Thanks for any reply..

Next time, just create a new thread.

No. All blockers are declared simultaneously, as the declare blockers step begins. You can't declare some blockers, do something, then declare more blockers.

Sign In to post comments