If a card was both creature and sorcery

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
how would it be played?
my new deck: Bears with Weapons
I can tell you right now: It won't, because such a card will never exist without some majour changes to the rules.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

which rules prevent it from working?
[indent]217.1a If an object would go to any library, graveyard, or hand other than its owner's, it goes to its owner's corresponding zone. If an instant or sorcery card would come into play, it remains in its previous zone.

212.5d Instants can't come into play. If an instant would come into play, it remains in its previous zone instead.

212.7d Sorceries can't come into play. If a sorcery would come into play, it remains in its previous zone instead.
[/indent]
how would it be played?

Please put your question in your post, not just in the title.

The rules do not currently support a card being a sorcery and a creature. In order for a card to have both those types, the rules would need some changes.

For example, sorceries never come into play, and creatures do.
Fire Spell

Sorcery, Creature
Fire Spell deals 4 damage to target creature.
10/2

would this card work? (the sorcery part of it...)
Fire Spell

Sorcery, Creature
Fire Spell deals 4 damage to target creature.
10/2

would this card work? (the sorcery part of it...)

Have you read the previous posts? The current rules will not allow a card that's a creature and sorcery.

EDIT: also the rules don't allow for playing "part of a card", except for Split Cards.

Maybe try taking your question to You Make the Card?
Have you read the previous posts? The current rules will not allow a card that's a creature and sorcery.

Maybe try taking your question to You Make the Card?

could you please quote that rule?
Sure, you could make it be like that, and as far as I know, it would do what it can when it resolves--dealing four damage to something but failing to come into play. Then again, since it can't come into play, that might fizzle. I don't know how something like that would resolve or fizzle, and it's a moot point anyway--we'll never see anything like it, so knowing how it works doesn't matter.

a) Keep the YMtC entries in the YMtC forum.

b) If you merely want to make a Sorcery that deals damage, then do that.
If you merely want to make a Creature, then do that.

Do NOT try to do both, it does not 'work' without major reworking of the Rules.

And in the Rules forum, We do not make the Rules, We merely enforce them.

Did you even bother to read Our post?
[indent]217.1a If an object would go to any library, graveyard, or hand other than its owner's, it goes to its owner's corresponding zone. If an instant or sorcery card would come into play, it remains in its previous zone.

212.5d Instants can't come into play. If an instant would come into play, it remains in its previous zone instead.

212.7d Sorceries can't come into play. If a sorcery would come into play, it remains in its previous zone instead.
[/indent]

Could you try actually reading replies?

[/indent]

Could you try actually reading replies?

I did read that but i didnt see the problem....

could somebody please explain that to me, I dont know the rules so well....

and I only posted that card as an example.... maybe next tuime I will make a new thred in that ymtc forum and then post a link here
I did read that but i didnt see the problem....

The point of being a Creature (or Artifact, or Enchantment, or Land, or Planeswalker) is that they enter the In Play zone and become Permanents.
Instants and Sorcerys can NOT enter the In Play zone, they can NOT become permanents.
[indent]212.7d Sorceries ca[size=4]n't[/size] come into play. If a sorcery would come into play, it remains in its previous zone instead.
[/indent]
Thus, tacking on the Type Creature and a P/T to a Sorcery does NOTHING.

You can either a) make a Creature that has a triggered ability or b) make it a Tribal Spell.
*FACEPALM*

IT'S RIGHT IN FEIGEL'S POST IN PLAIN ENGLISH!

[/indent]

so you don't understand the zones... alright, I'll explain.

The zones of the game are as follows:
Hand
Library
Graveyard
In-Play
Stack
Removed-from-Game
Phased-Out

All of those but the RFG zone have two 'sections,' one for each player; the RFG is just one big 'these cards are RFG' zone.

When you play a spell, it goes into the Stack Zone first (called being 'put on the Stack'). Anything that has a permanent card type, when it resolves, will move from the Stack to the In-Play zone. Anything with type Sorcery or Instant will instead go the graveyard.

The rule quoted says that, in case some effect says to attempt putting a sorcery or instant in play, that one cannot come into play and will instead remain its previous zone, unless it's on the stack, in which case it will go to the graveyard.

So, a Sorcery Creature will not work, because the Sorcery type stops the creature from coming into play.

*FACEPALM*

IT'S RIGHT IN FEIGEL'S POST IN PLAIN ENGLISH!

Speedy, if he doesn't understand the zones, Feigel's post wouldn't make sense to him.

Speedy, if he doesn't understand the zones, Feigel's post wouldn't make sense to him.

He still would've understood the part "Sorceries can't come into play".
The zones of the game are as follows:
Hand
Library
Graveyard
In-Play
Stack
Removed-from-Game
Phased-Out
ANTE

All of those but the RFG zone have two 'sections,' one for each player;

Wrong.

The ONLY zones, in which each player has their own, are the Graveyard, Library and Hand.

There is ONLY ONE In Play zone; ONE Stack; ONE Phased-Out zone; ONE Ante zone.
217.1a If an object would go to any library, graveyard, or hand other than its owner's, it goes to its owner's corresponding zone. If an instant or sorcery card would come into play, it remains in its previous zone.

I do understand those rules but they dont really answer my question.

they tell me what does NOT happen when I play a sorcery creature
but I wanted to know what would actually happen

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "SORCERY CREATURE"
We can NOT tell you... Because there are NO Rules that support a "Creature Sorcery".

The judge would complement you on your forgery and eject you from the tournament.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
*MEGA-FACEPALM*
WE'RE TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT SUCH A CARD CANNOT EVER EXIST BECAUSE OF THE RULES WE JUST QUOTED!

Geez, how can you not understand that?
hm...
I just looked up some ruled myself.

205.2b Some objects have more than one card type (for example, an artifact creature). Such objects satisfy the criteria for any effect that applies to any of their card types.

212.3b When a creature spell resolves, its controller puts it into play under his or her control.

212.7b When a sorcery spell resolves, the actions stated in its rules text are followed. Then it's put into its owner's graveyard.

so does that mean it would be put into play and into the graveyard at the same time? (and would return from th graveyard to the stack due to the rule Feigel posted...)
Are you a troll, or can you just not read? Which is it?
*facepalms with such force that it takes his own head clear off*

...Guy must be a troll...
hm...
I just looked up some ruled myself.

so does that mean it would be put into play and into the graveyard at the same time? (and would return from th graveyard to the stack due to the rule Feigel posted...)

Dude - quite simply, there IS no answer to your question, as such a card DOESN'T exist and ISN'T supposed by ANY rules whatsoever.
*MEGA-FACEPALM*
WE'RE TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT SUCH A CARD CANNOT EVER EXIST BECAUSE OF THE RULES WE JUST QUOTED!

Geez, how can you not understand that?

I do understand that the card cant be put into play
I do understand that the card cant be put into play

No, the card quite simply can't exist under the current rules. Period.
why not?
Okay, it's official:

He's a troll.
I'm sorry if I am annoying

But none of you told me why it wouldnt work. You only said that it wouldnt work
why not?

Because a sorcery is never a permanent, and a permanent is never a sorcery. That's just the way it works. IF and WHEN Wizards decides to print one, then they'll explain to us how it would work - but under the current rules, a Sorcery can never come into play - so the creature would never hit the table. And if it can never, ever be a creature - why make it a creature in the first place? Why not just keep it as a sorcery?

Besides - Wizards has already made simliar creatures - see the Evoke mechanic. They're not actually instants or sorceries, but they can be played at the same times and do similar things. Compare Counsel of the Soratami with Mulldrifter. Same effect, same cost (if you evoke the Mulldrifter), can be played at the same times (usually )it's just one also can be a creature.

But it's still not an instant creature, because such a thing would never be able to come into play.

I'm sorry if I am annoying

But none of you told me why it wouldnt work. You only said that it wouldnt work

*sigh* Yes. They did. Several times. Because under the current rules, an instant/sorcery can never come into play. It goes to the graveyard instead. That's been said at LEAST a half dozen times in this thread.
why not?

For the same reason that a number can't be both < -2 and > 2: It can't satisfy both criteria at the same time.
But none of you told me why it wouldnt work.

Because... There are NO Rules in existence that would allow for such a card to work. NONE.

So, you can either give up on this fool's quest, or make up your own rules.
Because... There are NO Rules in existence that would allow for such a card to work. NONE.

So, you can either give up on this fool's quest, or make up your own rules.

Is there an own rule for each combination of card types?
Is there an own rule for each combination of card types?

I'm not sure what you mean, can you rephrase?
The rules do not tell you want kind of cards can't be made, because the the rules only supposed to tell you how to play the game. Not design cards. In order to understand what can, and cannot, be designed as a card, you need to understand what the rules do not, and cannot, support.

[INDENT]413.2i A spell is put into play from the stack under the control of the spell's controller (for permanents) or is put into its owner's graveyard from the stack (for instants and sorceries) as the final step of the spell's resolution. An ability is removed from the stack and ceases to exist as the final step of its resolution.[/INDENT]
This rule lists mutually exclusive options for creature spells, and sorcery spells. Because they are mutually exclusive, a card cannot be designed with both types.
my new theory on how it would work:

when the card resolves it would be put both into the graveyard and remain on the stack at the same time:
212.3b When a creature spell resolves, its controller puts it into play under his or her control.
212.7b When a sorcery spell resolves, the actions stated in its rules text are followed. Then it's put into its owner's graveyard.

But that is an impossible action (or is it?) and so it would not happen:
103.3. If an instruction requires taking an impossible action, it's ignored. (In many cases the card will specify consequences for this; if it doesn't, there's no effect.)

But I dont know what would happen next.
The rules do not tell you want kind of cards can't be made, because the the rules only supposed to tell you how to play the game. Not design cards. In order to understand what can, and cannot, be designed as a card, you need to understand what the rules do not, and cannot, support.

[INDENT]413.2i A spell is put into play from the stack under the control of the spell's controller (for permanents) or is put into its owner's graveyard from the stack (for instants and sorceries) as the final step of the spell's resolution. An ability is removed from the stack and ceases to exist as the final step of its resolution.[/INDENT]
This rule lists mutually exclusive options for creature spells, and sorcery spells. Because they are mutually exclusive, a card cannot be designed with both types.

but wouldnt that mean that both things happen to a card that is both?
but wouldnt that mean that both things happen to a card that is both?

Is there some part of "Mutually Exclusive" you don't understand or something?