Read through FAQs, still questioning...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone. I'll try to keep this short, but I want to make sure there's no complications. First off, I've read the "Returning Magic players" thread, but I'm still a little rough around the rules. Also, sorry if the links aren't present. So here's some Q's I had questions on...

1.) I'm attacked by a 6/6 creature. I block with a 3/3 First Strike and a 3/3 normal creature using the "wedge blocking" technique. What happens to the creatures?

2.) I'm attacked by a 3/3 creature. I block with a 3/3, but then an instant spell goes on the stack that deals 3 damage to my creature. Is attacker still considered "blocked" or do I take the creatures damage after everything resolves?

3.) Can I avoid the effects of a "creatures can't be played" spell (Like the enchantment: AEther Storm) by things like a Zombify spell (put a creature in play from your graveyard) or abilities like an Elvish Piper ( {G} Tap: Put a creature from your hand into play)?

4.) Some need-to-know rules for Double Strike vs. First Strike would be GREAT!

5.) If you witnessed an illegal form of blocking by tapping (by playing a Pestermite AFTER attackers have been announced) in an un-official tournament in your local gamestore by the organizer of the tournament, but you had no involvement whatsoever, would you be entitled to say something?
1. When it comes time to assign first strike damage, the 3/3 assigns and deals 3 damage to the 6/6. Then you assign normal combat damage. Assuming the controller of the 6/6 wants to kill both creatures, it can assign 3 damage to each 3/3, and the 3/3 without first strike will assign 3 damage to the 6/6. When damage is dealt, all three creatures will die, since they will all have taken lethal damage.

2. Once a creature is blocked, it remains blocked for the rest of combat, even if all the creatures blocking it leave combat. In this case, the 3/3 is still considered blocked and will not assign or deal any damage in combat (unless it has trample, then it will assign all of its damage to the defending player).

3. Yes. Both of those put the creature into play, not play them, so they will not be stopped by the Storm.

4. A creature with first strike will deal damage during the first strike combat damage step but not the normal combat damage step. A creature with double strike will deal damage during the first strike and normal combat damage steps (assuming it survives first strike damage).

5. Yes you would. Call a judge (but do not stop the game).

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Hello everyone. I'll try to keep this short, but I want to make sure there's no complications. First off, I've read the "Returning Magic players" thread, but I'm still a little rough around the rules. Also, sorry if the links aren't present. So here's some Q's I had questions on...

1.) I'm attacked by a 6/6 creature. I block with a 3/3 First Strike and a 3/3 normal creature using the "wedge blocking" technique. What happens to the creatures?

In all likelihood, everything dies. Your 3/3 with first strike deals 3 damage to the 6/6, but that's not enough to kill it. So in normal combat damage, your "normal" 3/3 deals 3 more damage to the 6/6, and the 6/6 gets to deal 6 damage divided among your 3/3s as the attacking player chooses. The attacking player will usually (but not always - it's a strategy choice) choose to deal 3 to each blocker, which will kill them both barring outside effects.
2.) I'm attacked by a 3/3 creature. I block with a 3/3, but then an instant spell goes on the stack that deals 3 damage to my creature. Is attacker still considered "blocked" or do I take the creatures damage after everything resolves?

Once a creature becomes blocked, it remains blocked until the end of combat. You won't take any damage from the attacker unless it has Trample.
3.) Can I avoid the effects of a "creatures can't be played" spell (Like the enchantment: AEther Storm) by things like a Zombify spell (put a creature in play from your graveyard) or abilities like an Elvish Piper ( {G} Tap: Put a creature from your hand into play)?

Yes. In neither case are you playing a creature spell. Zombify is a sorcery spell, and Elvish Piper's ability isn't a spell at all. Putting a creature into play via an effect is not the same as playing a creature spell.
4.) Some need-to-know rules for Double Strike vs. First Strike would be GREAT!

Um... do you have a specific question? About the only scenario where double strike vs. first strike is different from first strike vs. first strike is if neither creature kills the other during first strike damage (say a 2/4 vs. a 3/3). In this case, the double striker will end up "winning", because it will get to deal combat damage again during normal combat damage, which will be enough to finish the other creature.
5.) If you witnessed an illegal form of blocking by tapping (by playing a Pestermite AFTER attackers have been announced) in an un-official tournament in your local gamestore by the organizer of the tournament, but you had no involvement whatsoever, would you be entitled to say something?

It depends on the tournament. In a sanctioned DCI tournament, observers who witness rule violations should inform a judge but should not interrupt the game in progress. For unsanctioned tournaments, ask whoever's in charge (preferably before the tournament, so you know the procedure if the person in charge happens to be the person involved).
Excellent, ty very much on behalf of all returning players, lol. :D