blowfly infestation + flourishing defenses

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Suppose I have blowfly infestation and my opponent has flourishing defenses and 2 1/1s. I play scar on one of them. What happens?

If he only has one 1/1 (and I have nothing) and I scar it, then, when infestation triggers, it has no legal target since defense didn't generate an elf yet, right?
Misread OP, will retry:

In the first situation, it depends on whose turn it is.
1a) If it is your turn, the triggers will go Defenses on top of Infestation. In that case, the other 1/1 that was in play already is targeted by the Infestation (by default), and the 1/1 is put in before the actual counter is put on. Since the new token is optional, this will continue until the opponent stops making the new guys. When that happens, the opponent will eventually end up with 1 1/1 token (or 0 if (s)he wants too, for some reason.)
1b) If it is your opponent's turn, the Infestation will go on top of Defenses. The second 1/1 will die, and Blowfly will attempt to trigger again, as will Defenses. Since there wouldn't be any legal targets. nothing happens, and then the new Defense and original Defense triggers will resolve and put two 1/1 tokens in play.

2) The creature will die, Blowfly won't happen because of no legal targets, and the defenses will create a 1/1 token.
Bot Flourishing Defenses and Bowfly Infestation trigger.

If it's your turn, his Defenses trigger will go on top of the stack and resolve first, making him a new token. Then your Infestation trigger will resolve and kill the other 1/1, restarting the cycle. This goes on until he decides to no longer make a token (since that's the only option here) and you kill all his creatures.

If it's his turn, your Bowfly Infestation resolves first, kills the other dork, retriggering both the Infestation and Defenses again. Your Infestation is removed from the stack since there is no target, so he just gets two new dorks from the two Defenses triggers still on the stack.

And yes, if he only has one 1/1 it stops immediately, since the Infestation trigger is removed from the stack for not having an legal target.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

It is not a draw, since Flourishing Defenses is optional. At some point your opponent will have to decide to not make a token.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

1a) If it is your turn, the triggers will go Defenses on top of Infestation. In that case, the other 1/1 that was in play already is targeted by the Infestation (by default), and the 1/1 is put in before the actual counter is put on. Since the new token is optional, this will continue until the opponent stops making the new guys. When that happens, the opponent will eventually end up with 1 1/1 token (or 0 if (s)he wants too, for some reason.)

Why would he end up with a 1/1?
Because the last time Blowfly Infestation's ability resolves (while only one token is in play), Flourishing Defenses triggers again. (Blowfly Infestation triggers again as well, but that ability is removed from the stack because there's no legal target.) When that last Flourishing Defenses trigger resolves, your opponent (optionally) gets a 1/1 that doesn't die since there are no more Blowfly Infestation triggers to kill it.
Right!
Thank you all.
Sign In to post comments