Graceful Reprieve and Wither

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
How does Graceful Reprieve work on a creature with wither? From the wording of the reminder text, wither looks to be a triggered ability so does that mean I just choose how to stack it with the Reprieve?
How does Graceful Reprieve work on a creature with wither? From the wording of the reminder text, wither looks to be a triggered ability so does that mean I just choose how to stack it with the Reprieve?

Do you mean Persist? Heartmender has Persist and doesn't have Wither, plus your question makes a lot more sense that way. (Also, Wither isn't a triggered ability while Persist is).

Assuming you mean Persist, you would then have two triggered abilities controlled by the same player hitting the stack at the same time, and that player would thus choose what order they went on the stack in (and thus, what order they resolve in, which will be the reverse).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

I'm going to assume you meant "persist" rather than "wither".

502.79. Persist

502.79a Persist is a triggered ability. "Persist" means "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner’s control with a -1/-1 counter on it."

If Graceful Reprieve and its target have the same controller, that player will choose the order in which the triggered abilities go on the stack.

410.3. If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, each player, in APNAP order, puts triggered abilities he or she controls on the stack in any order he or she chooses. (See rule 103.4.) Then players once again check for and resolve state-based effects until none are generated, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based effects are generated and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments