Quick Question on the "stack"

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is the scenario, I have a 1/1 creature out in play and Deathrender artifact equipment out, and my friend has a 1/1 creature "pokey" (tap it, do 1 dmg to creature or player). On my turn, if I pay 2 mana to send deathrender to equip to the 1/1 to make it a 3/3, does that equipment ability go on the stack under the ability of my friends pokey? So I lose 2 mana spent and my creature still dies? If yes, is there a time that i can wait for him to use his pokey, and then use the equip ability to put my card on the higher stack to resolve first, so that way i don't lose my creature?
Here is the scenario, I have a 1/1 creature out in play and Deathrender artifact equipment out, and my friend has a 1/1 creature "pokey" (tap it, do 1 dmg to creature or player). On my turn, if I pay 2 mana to send deathrender to equip to the 1/1 to make it a 3/3, does that equipment ability go on the stack under the ability of my friends pokey? So I lose 2 mana spent and my creature still dies?

Yes.

If yes, is there a time that i can wait for him to use his pokey, and then use the equip ability to put my card on the higher stack to resolve first, so that way i don't lose my creature?

No - you can only play the Equip ability when the stack is empty.
Here is the scenario, I have a 1/1 creature out in play and Deathrender artifact equipment out, and my friend has a 1/1 creature "pokey" (tap it, do 1 dmg to creature or player).

[noparse]Deathrender[/noparse] -> Deathrender
[noparse]Prodigal Pyromancer[/noparse] -> Prodigal Pyromancer

On my turn, if I pay 2 mana to send deathrender to equip to the 1/1 to make it a 3/3, does that equipment ability go on the stack under the ability of my friends pokey? So I lose 2 mana spent and my creature still dies?

If your opponent plays that ability in response to equip, yes.

Respond, Response (Informal)
A player can choose to play an instant spell or activated ability when something else is already on the stack, rather than waiting for the earlier spell or ability to resolve first. The spell or ability is said to be played "in response to" the earlier spell or ability. See rule 408, "Timing of Spells and Abilities."

217.6b The stack keeps track of the order that spells and/or abilities were added to it. Each time an object is put on the stack, it’s put on top of all objects already there. (See rule 408, "Timing of Spells and Abilities.")

217.6d When all players pass in succession, the top (last-added) spell or ability on the stack resolves. If the stack is empty when all players pass, the current step or phase ends and the next begins.
If yes, is there a time that i can wait for him to use his pokey, and then use the equip ability to put my card on the higher stack to resolve first, so that way i don't lose my creature?

Not easily.

502.33a Equip is an activated ability of Equipment cards. "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this Equipment to target creature you control. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery."

212.7e If a spell, ability, or effect states that a player can do something only "any time he or she could play a sorcery," it means only that the player must have priority, it must be during the main phase of his or her turn, and the stack must be empty. The player doesn’t need to have a sorcery he or she could actually play.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments