Who Wins?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is my situation:

I control a 20/22 Experiment Kraj, and 2 Vigean Hydropons. My friend controls a Bile Urchin, and a Yukora, the Prisoner. Bile Urchin says, “Sacrifice Bile Urchin: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.” I also have a Viridian Longbow in play. My life total, 1, and my friend’s life is 20. I also have a Veiling Oddity in suspended, that just came into play this turn, so all my creatures are unblockable. I equip one of my Hyrdopons with Viridian Longbow, but my friend Dark Banishes it. So I equip it to my other Hydropon, and attack him. Before I attack though, I tap my Hydropon to deal 1 damage to Bile Urchin to kill it. My friend says he can sacrifice it to kill me with the 1 point of damage before my attack can kill him. I say otherwise. Who is right?

Different Situation
Lets say instead of dealing 1 damage to it, I gave it -1/-1.Does he still win?
Here is my situation:

I control a 20/22 Experiment Kraj, and 2 Vigean Hydropons. My friend controls a Bile Urchin, and a Yukora, the Prisoner. Bile Urchin says, “Sacrifice Bile Urchin: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.” I also have a Viridian Longbow in play. My life total, 1, and my friend’s life is 20. I also have a Veiling Oddity in suspended, that just came into play this turn, so all my creatures are unblockable. I equip one of my Hyrdopons with Viridian Longbow, but my friend Dark Banishes it. So I equip it to my other Hydropon, and attack him. Before I attack though, I tap my Hydropon to deal 1 damage to Bile Urchin to kill it. My friend says he can sacrifice it to kill me with the 1 point of damage before my attack can kill him. I say otherwise. Who is right?

autocard please:
[noparse]Bile Urchin[/noparse]
Bile Urchin

Your friend is correct. There are many times where your friend will get priority to activate the Urchin's ability have it resolve before combat damage resolves and you will lose one life and lose the game.
First of all, AutoCard; [noparse] Bile Urchin [/noparse] = Bile Urchin
That way, We can read what the Card does, instead of relying on your faulty memory.

Second, you lose.
He can play the ability of the Urchin anytime he has Priority, and it will make you lose life.
SO what if I gave it -1/-1, can he still play the ability?
Unless whatever Spell/Ability you are playing has Split second, it CAN be responded to by your opponent playing the ability of the Urchin.

Once that happens, you're sunk... Unless you can counter the ability, or kill them first.
Unless whatever Spell/Ability you are playing has Split second, it CAN be responded to by your opponent playing the ability of the Urchin.

Once that happens, you're sunk... Unless you can counter the ability, or kill them first.

or gain life...
or be unable to lose the game...

(wait this is treading onto strategy's turf, ignore that bit)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out