confusion about rule 306.4a

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Once a creature has been declared as an attacking or blocking creature, spells or abilities that would have kept that creature from attacking or blocking don’t remove the creature from combat. Thats what it says and I have a doubt- If my opponent is attacking and I play an instant that deals enough damage to destroy the creature(Sandstorm) or one that just outright destroys the target permanent,well the attacker is gone isnt it?So essentially I have used a spell to remove it from combat? I dont need to block it because it will deal no combat damage right?So the rule must refer to spells that would have specifically denied permission for an attack in the first place?
Removing an attacker/blocker from play does remove it from combat, of course.

The rule is talking about giving a creature flying after it's been blocked, or playing something like "this creature can't block" after it has blocked. Those things have no effect on the legality of the attack or block.

Edit: For some rules backup, there's this morsel from the Rules:
Removed from Combat
A creature or planeswalker is removed from combat if it leaves play (such as by being destroyed or removed from the game); if its controller changes; if it stops being a creature or planeswalker, respectively; or if an effect removes it from combat. [...]

DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
So essentially I have used a spell to remove it from combat?

you have used a spell to destroy the creature. It is now no longer a creature. Since it is not a creature, it by definition cannot be an attacking creature.

What that rule is referring to is something like this: I declare my Grizzly bears as an attacker. After that declaration is made, you play Change of Heart targetting my attacker. This does not cause the creature to "unattack".
The one thing I have always been fuzzy and am still fuzzy deals with the following scenario.

I attack with my Goldmeadow Stalwart and my opponent declares a block with his Grizzly Bear in response to him declaring blocker I play Neck Snap . Therefore is my Goldmeadow Stalwart still prohibited from dealing damage to said opponent or did Grizzly Bear being declared a blocker already block him from doing so?
I attack with my Goldmeadow Stalwart and my opponent declares a block with his Grizzly Bear in response to him declaring blocker I play Neck Snap . Therefore is my Goldmeadow Stalwart still prohibited from dealing damage to said opponent or did Grizzly Bear being declared a blocker already block him from doing so?

The goldmeadow stalwart is still a blocked creature, even if its blocker leaves play. It is unable to assign combat damage to the defending player unless is has trample.
The one thing I have always been fuzzy and am still fuzzy deals with the following scenario.

The Goldmeadow Stalwart remains blocked and won't deal combat damage unless it somehow gains trample.

309.2f An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no blockers becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. (Some effects can change whether a creature is blocked or unblocked.)

Blocked Creature
An attacking creature becomes a blocked creature when another creature blocks it or an effect causes it to become blocked during the combat phase. It remains a blocked creature until it's removed from combat, it stops being a creature, its controller changes, or the combat phase ends. A blocked creature doesn't become unblocked if the blocking creature is later removed from combat. Blocked creatures don't exist outside of the combat phase. See rule 309, "Declare Blockers Step."

DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Ty for the replies ,cyphern and CarstenHaese.Now the rule is clear to me
Sign In to post comments