Tapping a creature in response to a tapping ability

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

If my opponent's Prodigal Sorcerer taps to do 1 damage, can I use a Twiddle in response to tap it before it does the damage?

Thanks
No. Costs for a spell or activated ability are paid before a player gets priority to play spells or abilities. And the cost of Prodigal Pyromancer (or Sorcerer... mostly the same thing) is .
If my opponent's Prodigal Sorcerer taps to do 1 damage, can I use a Twiddle in response to tap it before it does the damage?

No.

You can respond to the ability, but you cannot intervene in the process of playing the ability. By the time you can respond, the cost () has already been paid.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Hi,

Thanks

No. He tapped it as part of the cost of activating the ability. Therefore, when you get priority to cast Twiddle, the Sorcerer is already tapped and Twiddle cannot tap an already tapped creature.

But that's not what you really meant to ask anyway. And the answer is still no.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
just as an addendum...

choosing to Twiddle his Timmy before he uses it won't work either
as he can respond by playing his ability before Twiddle resolves...

certain spells with Split second may affect Timmy before he has an opportunity to respond, but that's about the only way to stop him from using his ability

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

certain spells with Split second may affect Timmy before he has an opportunity to respond, but that's about the only way to stop him from using his ability

Or you could concede. ;)

I was going to add in things like Stifle, but that just counters the ability, it doesn't stop him from using it in the first place.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
In short, you'll need to untap Mr. Death's target in response to your opponent activating it.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
In short, you'll need to untap Mr. Death's target in response to your opponent activating it.

Fixed the link.
Sign In to post comments