Ascendant Evincar

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say my opponent has an Ascendant Evincar in play and I have a bunch of 1/1 saproling tokens and a Pallid Mycoderm in play. Will I have time at the beginning of each turn to sacrifice a saproling to my Pallid Mycoderm before the Ascendant Evincar's -1/-1 takes effect for the turn and wipes out all my saps?

Also, If I put a 1/1 saproling into play with Sprout or some other means will I be able to sacrifice it to one of my Fungus creatures before the -1/-1 takes effect and kills it?
No and no. Being put into the graveyard for having 0 toughness is a state-based effect and happens just before you would get a chance to play any spells or abilities (and long before those spells and abilities would resolve).
The Ascendant Evincar's ability is always on. There's no point in time where he's in play and his ability isn't active yet, nor where a creature is in play and that creature isn't affected yet.

That means that, as soon as the Ascendant Evincar comes into play, all those Saprolings would go to the graveyard. They'd have to be sacrificed before the Evincar comes into play (say, in response to it being played). Once it's already in play, any new Saprolings would come into play as 0/0 and go to the graveyard. There's no chance of sacrificing them for anything before that happens.
Ouch. I was afraid of that. Ah well. Thank you for the prompt reply!
Of course, if you had something with a continuous effect that gives your Saprolings a Toughness bonus, then you wouldn't need to worry about it.

There are various enchantments and creatures that do just that.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Of course, if you had something with a continuous effect that gives your Saprolings a Toughness bonus, then you wouldn't need to worry about it.

There are various enchantments and creatures that do just that.

Here you go again, adding unsolicited strategy advice to a question that was already answered. Please stop doing that.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Sign In to post comments