*Pop* goes the Planeswalker?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Q: Doubling Season lets a Triskelion come into play with six tokens, instead of the normal 3. Does that also mean that Chandra Nalar will enter play with 12 influence tokens instead of her normal 6?

If so, Chandra Nalar could come into play and immediately sweep the opponents board and cut their life by a whopping 10, all for 5 mana. Does that seem a little out of hand? Is it truly that easy? (I hope so...:D )
They're loyalty counters, not "influence tokens." However, yes, the planeswalkers will come into play with twice as many. So Chandra Nalaar's ultimate ability could be played immediately.

(Note that Doubling Season won't affect the counters gained from playing the first ability, since that's a cost, not an effect.)
yes, Chandra CIP with double Loyalty counters.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Oops, sorry, used the wrong term. Thanks for the correction on loyalty counters :D .

Also, thanks for clarification on effects vs. costs. I guess that means I should put the Doubling Season and planeswalkers into my Volver deck and start spitting out 7/7 Cetavolvers and 8/8 Rakavolvers! Oh, and use Ajani Goldmane to put two tokens on each volver for the cost of -1 loyalty! Sheesh, that's just sick...:P
Not to belabor the point, but does Doubling Season also affect creatures with the modular ability? For example, the Arcbound Lancer has modular 4. That means it would come into play with 8 tokens, correct?

Just trying to get the full effect of what Doubling Season does for affecting the various decks I play that have tokens. For example, this is HUGE with my Triskelion/Sword of Kaldra combo. I can't wait to remove 6 creatures from play with one Triskelion.

Two more quick questions:
1. Does 2 Doubling Seasons each double the original tokens, thereby resulting in triple the tokens? Or, does it double the double, resulting in 4X the tokens? Or is one Doubling Season in play the maximum benefit you can squeeze out of tokens being placed?

2. If the Arcbound Lancer goes to the graveyard with 4 tokens on it, and I distribute those tokens to remaining creatures on my side, does the Doubling Season allow me to instead place 8 tokens on remaining creatures since the placement is the result of a triggered effect?
Not to belabor the point, but does Doubling Season also affect creatures with the modular ability? For example, the Arcbound Lancer has modular 4. That means it would come into play with 8 tokens, correct?

Remember, a "token" is a permanent not represented by a card. A "counter" is a marker placed on an object or player. But yes, Doubling Season will double the number of counters a Modular creature comes into play with.

BTW, please autocard: [noparse]Arcbound Lancer[/noparse] becomes Arcbound Lancer.

1. Does 2 Doubling Seasons each double the original tokens, thereby resulting in triple the tokens? Or, does it double the double, resulting in 4X the tokens? Or is one Doubling Season in play the maximum benefit you can squeeze out of tokens being placed?

If you have two of them, the number will double and double again, for a total of four times the original.

2. If the Arcbound Lancer goes to the graveyard with 4 tokens on it, and I distribute those tokens to remaining creatures on my side, does the Doubling Season allow me to instead place 8 tokens on remaining creatures since the placement is the result of a triggered effect?

You don't get to distribute the +1/+1 counters; you have to place them all on a single target artifact creature (or nowhere at all). However, Doubling Season will then double the number of counters placed on it, so that one target artifact creature will get 8 +1/+1 counters.

Yes.

Just trying to get the full effect of what Doubling Season does for affecting the various decks I play that have tokens. For example, this is HUGE with my Triskelion/Sword of Kaldra combo. I can't wait to remove 6 creatures from play with one Triskelion.

As mentioned by the Ravnica FAQ:

• The tokens and counters that Doubling Season creates are exact copies of the kind of tokens and counters that were being created in the first place.

• Doubling Season affects cards that "come into play with" a certain number of counters. Triskelion, for example, would come into play with six +1/+1 counters on it rather than three.

• If there are two Doubling Seasons in play, then the number of tokens or counters is four times the original number. If there are three in play, then the number of tokens or counters is eight times the original number.

Doubling Season can change "comes into play with 4 +1/+1 counters" to "comes into play with 8 +1/+1 counters", regardless of whether that 4 represents an unmodified Arcbound Lancer or an Arcbound Hybrid modified by another Doubling Season.

There is no "distribute". Otherwise, yes, Doubling Season can also affect the "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each +1/+1 counter on this permanent." part of modular.

Oh, and one last point:

200.10. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player, either modifying its characteristics or interacting with an ability. A counter is not a token, and a token is not a counter. Counters with the same name or description are interchangeable.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Great, thanks! That makes sense. I'm going to have to re-do my artifact and volver decks to take advantage of this.
And thanks all for explanations of tokens and counters...I'm kinda fast and loose with my use of terms since I don't do tournaments. You guys really help out a lot.
Doubling Season also affects creatures with GRAFT (Simic Initiate), both when they come into play AND when they give away a counter.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Doubling Season also affects creatures with GRAFT (Simic Initiate), both when they come into play AND when they give away a counter.

Please do not talk strategy in the Rules Q&A forum. We are not going to list every ability that interacts with Doubling Season.
Sign In to post comments