Mesmeric Orb

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friend tells me mesmeric Orb triggers in the untap phase, and you can't play anything during that phase. But I say you can because why else would they give it a triggered ability if you can't respond to it?
302.3. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells or abilities can be played or resolved. Any ability that triggers during this step will be held until the next time a player would receive priority, which is usually during the upkeep step.

You get a chance to respond to it when it goes on the stack, which is during the upkeep.
My friend tells me mesmeric Orb triggers in the untap phase, and you can't play anything during that phase. But I say you can because why else would they give it a triggered ability if you can't respond to it?

It does trigger in the Untap step, but the triggered ability doesn't go on the stack until the Upkeep step. You can respond to it the same way you could respond to an ability that triggers at the beginning of the Upkeep step.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel