casting a monocolored hybrid card

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you use a colored mana to count as colorless? For example, I have in my mana pool. Can I count 2 to pay for two of the in the cost for Flame Javelin, and the other two to pay for the colorless 2, or will I have to use one of the remaining to count as the final cost and take one damage from burn if I can't use the last ?
Can you use a colored mana to count as colorless? For example, I have in my mana pool. Can I count 2 to pay for two of the in the cost for Flame Javelin, and the other two to pay for the colorless 2, or will I have to use one of the remaining to count as the final cost and take one damage from burn if I can't use the last ?

You can do that.

One of the decisions you make when playing a spell like Flame Javelin is decide how you pay the mana cost. You can declare it to be and pay that with .

EDIT: Just to clarify, since what I said could be read incorrectly. The mana cost is never actually , that's merely what you are choosing to pay.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
If you choose to, you can pay to play flame javelin, since is a valid way to pay .
Is the mana cost of flame javelin what it says in the top right (I can't seem to do monocolor hybrid symbols), or ?
It's not until you learn something you realize how little you know. DCI Level 1 Judge.
Is the mana cost of flame javelin what it says in the top right (I can't seem to do monocolor hybrid symbols), or ?

The mana cost is what it says in the top right, same as usual.

The converted mana cost is 6.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
The converted mana cost is always 6, no matter how much you pay for it.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

The CONVERTED mana cost of the spell will always be six, as the rules text says in reminder text. What you actually pay is up to you.
Read the FAQ:
[INDENT]* As you play a hybrid spell or an activated ability with a hybrid cost, you choose which color of mana you will spend for each hybrid mana symbol at the same time you would choose modes or choose a value for X.[/INDENT]

YOU choose the way the cost is to be paid; this means you'll have to declare:
[INDENT]"I'll pay Flame Javelin the way"[INDENT]OR[/INDENT]"I'll pay Flame Javelin the way"[INDENT]OR[/INDENT]"I'll pay Flame Javelin the way"[INDENT]OR[/INDENT]"I'll pay Flame Javelin the way"[INDENT]as you play the spell.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Then, if you chose a payment including generic cost, you're free to use any color of mana to pay for it, even red mana!

It's not Logic, it's Magic!