rules dispute over ovinize+ silvergill douser

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
recently during a school tournement, i was playign a two-headed game and a rules dispute came up that wont die until we have expert opinion. our oppenent had a silvergill douser and i attacked with a 2/2 steadfast gaurd that i had stolen using sower of temptation.he tapped teh douser to give him -4/-0, and then my partner used ovinize to prevent that.would teh effect still happen or did we prevent it?
silvergill douser's ability would still resolve leaving your steadfast guard a 0/2 even though the douser would lose the ability
recently during a school tournement, i was playign a two-headed game and a rules dispute came up that wont die until we have expert opinion. our oppenent had a silvergill douser and i attacked with a 2/2 steadfast gaurd that i had stolen using sower of temptation.he tapped teh douser to give him -4/-0, and then my partner used ovinize to prevent that.would teh effect still happen or did we prevent it?

Assuming you used the Ovinize on the Douser...

The effect will still happen. Once an ability has been played, it exists independent of its source. Even if the Douser no longer has the ability, the -X/-0 will still occur.

You would have to counter the ability itself with a card like Stifle, Voidslime, or Trickbind.
EDIT: Or ability, as exists on Voidmage Husher.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
[noparse]Steadfast guard[/noparse] -> Steadfast guard
Silvergill douser
Ovinize
he tapped teh douser to give him -4/-0, and then my partner used ovinize to prevent that.would teh effect still happen

No. It will still resolve.

Once an ability is played, it exists independantly of its source, and nothing you do to the source will counter the ability. You can respond to the ability, but the ability will still respond unless it is countered.
thank you.