Fungal Behemoth & Graft

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
What would happen if I tried to graft the +1/+1 counter from a Simic Initiate in play to a Fungal Behemoth that just came into play?
Assuming simic initiate has 1 +1/+1 counter on it, and that is the only other creature in play, here's what would happen:

Fungal Behemoth comes into play as a 1/1 creature, since there is 1 counter on creatures you control. Simic Initiate's ability triggers. When that ability resolves, you have the option to move the counter. If you do so, the fungal behemoth becomes a 2/2, and the initiate is moved to the graveyard.
Thanks
What would happen if I tried to graft the +1/+1 counter from a Simic Initiate in play to a Fungal Behemoth that just came into play?

Assuming you have no other creatures, or +1/+1 counters...

Your Initiate would die, and you Fungal Behemoth would live as a 2/2.

When the Behemoth enters play, he is a 1/1 from the counter on the Initiate. Graft Triggers, and when it resolves, you choose to move the counter.

Before the move:
Initiate is 1/1
Behemoth is 1/1

After the move:
Initiate is 0/0 (and dies)
Behemoth is 2/2

I don't believe there is ever a time the Behemoth is 0/0 because the counter goes from your Initiate to your Behemoth directly. Even if there were, State-Based Effects (the rules that would kill the Behemoth for being 0/0) aren't checked during the resolution of the Graft ability. By the time they are checked, he's kicking happily at 2/2.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*