Dryad Arbor - Tapping for mana turn it comes into play?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already (can't find it in the FS FAQ).

Can I tap Dryad Arbor for mana the turn it comes into play? I realize it has summoning sickness but not sure if the tapping for mana ability get around that.

Thanks!
No it cannot. Since it is a creature, it is affected by 'summoning sickness'. Tapping for mana never gets around 'summoning sickness': if the ability uses the (or untap) symbol, you can't use it until it has started your turn under your control. So the Arbor cannot tap for mana the turn it comes into play unless it gains haste.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Dryad Arbor's tap-for-mana ability is no different than any other ability that uses the symbol, and is no exception to the rule that a creature can't attack or use abilities until it has started your turn under your control. (Unless it has Haste).
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
lol - feels like a silly question now. Thanks for the clarification!! :D
Haste would allow you to use its ability.
or were it to lose its creature type in some fashion
or certain artifacts that allow you to play activated abilities of your permanents as if they had Haste.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

or were it to lose its creature type in some fashion

Be careful here. Its creature type is Dryad, and losing that - say, due to Conspiracy - would have no effect on its ability to tap for mana while it had summoning sickness. What you meant, of course, is that if it ceased to be a creature in some fashion (lost, not its creature type, but the type "creature"), it would be able to tap for mana.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Sign In to post comments