Scaring tatterkite

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you try to play scar on tatterkite, is it an illegal target or does the spell just have no effect?
It is a legal target, but the spell will have no effect.
What is the difference between this and Scarscale Ritual?
Scar puts a -1/-1 counter on the target as part of the effect. Scarscale ritual puts a counter on as part of the cost to play the spell. In both cases, it is impossible to put a -1/-1 counter on the tatterkite. For scar, that results in the spell having no effect. For scarscale ritual, that results in the cost being unpayable, and thus the spell cannot be played.
What is the difference between this and Scarscale Ritual?

The difference is that if an effect tells you to do the impossible, you just do as much as you can, while if a cost involves impossible actions, you can't pay that cost.
I don't know what the hell was I thinking... I meant Fate Transfer...
Moving a counter is a single action. If the counter can't be placed on its destination, then the entire action of moving the counter is impossible.

Suppose, however, that Fate Transfer was worded as "Remove all counters from target creature. For each counter removed in this way, put a counter of that type on another target creature." In that case, you'd first remove the counters and then ignore the second part, since counters can't be placed on the Tatterkite. Since Fate Transfer doesn't have wording like that, though, it doesn't work that way.
So the Tatterkite would be an illegal target from the beginning...

Thanks!
So the Tatterkite would be an illegal target from the beginning...

Wrong.

The Potato IS a legal target.

However, the action of the effect of the Spell, that tries to 'move' a counter onto the Potato, is illegal.
Thus, the Action fails to do anything, and the Counters stay where they were.
But I recall reading somewhere that you can't play Fate Transfer with Tatterkite as a target... and, as I'm reading, you could name Tatterkite as the second target for the transfer, but on resolution nothing would happen... what am I not getting right?

Sorry for bothering this much, but I really like to understand things right... in case this shows up in my group.
But I recall reading somewhere that you can't play Fate Transfer with Tatterkite as a target...

We doubt such a Statement exists...
And if it does, it is Wrong.
and, as I'm reading, you could name Tatterkite as the second target for the transfer, but on resolution nothing would happen... what am I not getting right?

Correct.
I would have liked to find the thread... it was an entire thread talking about Tatterkite and Scarscale Ritual (then the Transfer came along), but I didn't find it.

Thanks, BTW.
When determining target legality, you only have to look at the noun phrase right after the word "target" (and things like Shroud or Protection). You never have to consider what the spell/ability will try to do that target.