Ruling on Argothian Enchantress

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi few questions on this card.

The Argothian Enchantress says it cannot be the target of spells or abilities.

1. Can the card be targeted in the graveyard by cards that retuns a creature card to your hand. cards like eternal witness or a regrowth? Its unclear if the Argothian Enchantress ability applies when the card is not in play.

2. Can you clone a Argothian Enchantress?

3. How does Celestial ancient work with the Argothian enchantress. Celestial ancient states 'Whenever you play an enchantment spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. ' Would this target the argothian enchantress?

4. I assume the cards ability does not affect its ability to attack or block in combat either.

5. is there anything else i should know that might help gameplay regarding this card.

Thanks for any help on this matter :o)
Shroud only 'works' while the Object is In Play.
While a Card in the Graveyard, or a Spell on the Stack, it can be Targeted.

Yes.
clone does not Target.

No.
If it does not state the word "Target", then it does not Target.
The Enchantress will get the +1/+1 counter from the Celestial ancient.

Correct.

Read the cards Oracle text.
AutoCard; [noparse] Argothian Enchantress [/noparse] = Argothian Enchantress
1. Can the card be targeted in the graveyard by cards that retuns a creature card to your hand. cards like eternal witness or a regrowth? Its unclear if the Argothian Enchantress ability applies when the card is not in play.

Yes.

By default, all abilities function only when in play. There are exceptions for things that specifically say they work in a different zone, or that only make sense in another zone, but shroud is not an exception.
2. Can you clone a Argothian Enchantress?

Yes. Clone does not target.
3. How does Celestial ancient work with the Argothian enchantress. Celestial ancient states 'Whenever you play an enchantment spell, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. ' Would this target the argothian enchantress?

[noparse]Celestial Ancient[/noparse] -> Celestial Ancient
If something targets, it will use the word "target" (or it will be an aura spell). Celestial ancient does not use the word target, so it does not target.
4. I assume the cards ability does not affect its ability to attack or block in combat either.

Shroud has nothing to do with attacking of blocking.
So in effect for the ability to work it must be in play. For cards to effect it they must not use the word target on them. So cards like fireball etc would just fizzle out.

So cards like extinction that destroys all of a creature type of your choice would work as it does not use the word target. I assume the same is true for steam blast as it deal damage globally.

Another card that we play with is forgotten Ancient.
Card text: Whenever a player plays a spell, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Forgotten Ancient.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may move any number of +1/+1 counters from Forgotten Ancient onto other creatures.

I assume this means that the +1/+1 counters can be moved onto the Argothian Enchantress as it does not use the word target. Although surely using the ability to move counters onto the argothian Enchantress is targeting it.

Thanks once again for the help.
So cards like fireball etc would just fizzle out.

Err... Wait.

You can not play a Spell/Ability Targeting a Creature with Shroud. <- Period
Thus, the Fireball never gets a chance to 'fizzle'.
So cards like extinction that destroys all of a creature type of your choice would work as it does not use the word target. I assume the same is true for steam blast as it deal damage globally.

Correct.

Another card that we play with is forgotten Ancient.

Again. USE AutoCard.
I assume this means that the +1/+1 counters can be moved onto the Argothian Enchantress as it does not use the word target.

Yes.
Although surely using the ability to move counters onto the argothian Enchantress is targeting it.

Does it say the word "Target"? No, it does not.
Thankyou for those answers. I didnt realise the spell/ ability had to use the word target on the card for it not to work.

I will work out the autocard thing next time i post. (Not used it before and its late here).

Thanks once again.