Concerted Effort + Empty-shrine Kannushi + Transguild Golem ?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Concerted Effort
Empty-Shrine Kannushi
Transguild Golem

One of my friend said that this combo won't work since Empty-shrine Kannushi's text doesn't say a particular color and it won't be counted for Concerted Efforts effect so I want to ask.

If these three cards in play more than one turn (enough to trigger Concerted Efforts ability) than may all of my creatures get protection from all colors (actually it is protection from the colors of permanents you control but since transguild golem is there I simply say protection from all colors) ?
One of my friend said that this combo won't work sinc Empty-shrine Kannushi's text doesn't say a particular color and it won't be counted for Concerted Efforts effect so I want to ask.

Your friend is wrong.

In the scenario you describe, all of your creatures will gain protection from all colors, since that is what Empty-Shrine Kannushi has when Concerted Effort's ability resolves.

PS, thanks for the card links, but you may find autocarding simpler: [noparse]Concerted Effort[/noparse] -> Concerted Effort
Your friend is wrong. With Empty-Shrine Kannushi and concerted effort in play, all your creatures will get "protection from the colors of permanents you control", which happens to be all 5 colors if you control Transguild golem when concerted effort's ability resolves.
-=edit=- gah... I should read the cards before answering...
Thanks for reply and easing my mind. Although it is an old combo it is one of my favorite.
not only is your friend wrong, but his argument about colors is completely irrelevant as you could also gain protection from others things than color, like goblins
not only is your friend wrong, but his argument about colors is completely irrelevant as you could also gain protection from others things than color, like goblins

Well he didn't meant it like that but I can trnaslate it to english that much. To put it simple he said that " ....to concerted effort works the card must say a certain protection not a changing one since Empty-Shrine Kannushi's protection changes with each permanent you put it won't work with Concerted Effort...." well this is closer to what he said.
Your friend may be confused by a similar situation which has a different result:

Cairn Wanderer is in play. Empty-Shrine Kannushi is in your graveyard. In this situation, cairn wanderer does not have protection from the colors of permanents you control. This is because empty-shrine Kannushi does not have protection. It has an ability that grants itself protection, and that ability only functions while the kannushi is in play. However, this distinction does not matter if empty-shrine kannushi is in play.
Another question.

What happens if both Concerted Effort and Empty-Shrine Kannushi in the play (but transguild golem is not at the moment) for at least one turn (again enough time to resolve Concerted Efforts ability) than I play Transguild Golem and put it into play? Does all of my creatures that are in the play gains protection from all colors except transguild golem?
What happens if both Concerted Effort and Empty-Shrine Kannushi in the play (but transguild golem is not at the moment) for at least one turn (again enough time to resolve Concerted Efforts ability) than I play Transguild Golem and put it into play? Does all of my creatures that are in the play gains protection from all colors except transguild golem?

So, lets see if i understand the situation correctly.

In your upkeep, you have Concerted Effort, Empty-Shrine Kannushi and squire in play. Concerted effort triggers and resolves. Later in the turn, you play Transguild courier.

At the time Concerted effort resolves, Empty-shrine kannushi has "protection from white". Thus, Concerted Effort gives "protection from white" to your squire until the end of the turn. Later, when Transguild courier comes into play, empty-shrine kannushi's ability changes to "Protection from White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green". Squire still has "protection from white" that it was given in your upkeep. Transguild courier does not have protection because it wasn't in play when Concerted Effort resolved. On the next turn (assuming everything is still in play) all of your creatures will gain "Protection from White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green".
So, lets see if i understand the situation correctly.

In your upkeep, you have Concerted Effort, Empty-Shrine Kannushi and squire in play. Concerted effort triggers and resolves. Later in the turn, you play Transguild courier.

At the time Concerted effort resolves, Empty-shrine kannushi has "protection from white". Thus, Concerted Effort gives "protection from white" to your squire until the end of the turn. Later, when Transguild courier comes into play, empty-shrine kannushi's ability changes to "Protection from White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green". Squire still has "protection from white" that it was given in your upkeep. Transguild courier does not have protection because it wasn't in play when Concerted Effort resolved. On the next turn (assuming everything is still in play) all of your creatures will gain "Protection from White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green".

So Concerted Effort doesn't give the ability "protection from colors of permanents you control" but gives "protection from (certain color)" if I understand correctly.
Correct.

Thus, IF (after the Effort trigger resolves) you lose control of the TGC, your Creatures will still have "Protection from White, Blue, Black, Red and Green".
Sign In to post comments