Reflecting Pool + Primal Beyond

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a Primal Beyond in play along with a Reflecting Pool, can I tap the reflecting pool for any color mana, regardless of whether or not I'm using that mana to play an elemental or an activated ability of an elemental? It sounds like a dumb question, and I believe the answer is yes, since the conditional doesn't carry over, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
The Reflecting Pool can be tapped for one mana of any color (or colorless mana), with no conditions on what the mana can be spent on. The "type" of mana just refers to the color or lack thereof.
gatherer says:

It checks for types the land could produce under all possible conditions. For example, if a land can only produce mana if you pay a cost or if some condition is met, Reflecting Pool can still generate mana of that color.
gatherer says:

It checks for types the land could produce under all possible conditions. For example, if a land can only produce mana if you pay a cost or if some condition is met, Reflecting Pool can still generate mana of that color.

Thanks for the replies guys! Probably should've just RTFG...:embarrass
Probably should've just RTFG...:embarrass

Except that: while what rainn said is true, it's not the answer to your question. That ruling would be for something like Reflecting Pool + Tainted Peak. Even if you control no swamps, reflecting pool can still be tapped for or .

Primal beyond has no conditions on if it can produce mana, it just has restrictions on how that mana can be spent. As adeyeke pointed out, the "type" of mana just means its color or lack thereof, so the restriction that Primal beyond imposes does not apply to mana produced by Reflecting pool.
rulebook quote
Mana
Mana is the energy used to play spells and is usually produced by lands. Mana is created by mana abilities (and sometimes by spells), and it can be used to pay costs immediately or can stay in the player’s mana pool. See rule 406, “Mana Abilities.”
Colored mana costs, represented by colored mana symbols, can be paid only with the appropriate color of mana. Generic mana costs can be paid with any color of, or with colorless, mana. See rule 104.3.
The spell or ability that adds mana to a mana pool may restrict how it can be used. An ability might produce mana that can be used only to play creature spells or only to pay activation costs.
The type of mana a permanent “could produce” is the type of mana that any ability of that permanent can generate, taking into account any applicable replacement effects. If the type of mana can’t be defined, there’s no type of mana that that permanent could produce. The “type” of mana is its color, or lack thereof (for colorless mana).
Ok, I understand that Reflecting Pool can produce any color mana that another land could produce without regard to that card's cost for the mana.

Does this mean that Reflecting Pool can product any color mana forever if I have a vivid land in play? Or must the vivid land have a charge counter on it?

TIA
As previously stated, the Pool CAN produce Mana that the Land could produce regardless any Cost of an ability of Land in question has.
Thus, it does NOT matter whether or not you are able to play the Vivid Lands second ability, the Pool CAN add a mana of any Color.

However, the Pool will take Replacement effects into account.
[indent]If a Gemstone Caverns does not have a Luck counter, the Pool will only be able to produce Colorless mana.
If it does have a Luck counter, then the Pool will be able a Mana of any color.[/indent]
Does this mean that Reflecting Pool can product any color mana forever if I have a vivid land in play?

It can produce any color of mana regardless of what counters are on the vivid land.

Basically, for each mana ability of lands you control, ignore whether the ability could be played, and just imagine the ability is resolving. Whatever colors of mana could be produced by that ability resolving can also be produced by reflecting pool.