Can Llanowar Elves sneak in for double mana during convoke?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I assume you can't do this but I wanted to double check, if I'm playing a creature with convoke and I'm using Llanowar Elves' mana ability, does that ALSO count as me tapping a creature towards the convoke cost?

Thanks,
-S
No, it does not. If you tap him to produce mana, you will not be able to tap him for Convoke. You can get either one or the other, but not both.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

No.
You have to tap the Elves to get the mana out of them (kinda like a rubber tree), which means they are already tapped by the time you would have to tap them for convoke.
And you definitely can't use one tap to pay for two costs any more that you can use the same {low denomination unit of currency} to pay for two different items each costing {the value of said currency}.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
Just to really twist your brain, you couldn't even get double use out of Wild Cantor by tapping for Convoke and then sacking for mana.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
This is how I assumed the mechanics worked, but the wording seemed a little hazy and I thought you might be able to do it as a technicality.

"Each creature you tap while playing this spell..."
Just to really twist your brain, you couldn't even get double use out of Wild Cantor by tapping for Convoke and then sacking for mana.

But this is just because you can't sacrifice it in the middle of paying a cost, right?
(Don't confuse Reminder Text for Rules Text).
The Rules for Convoke are:
502.46. Convoke

502.46a Convoke is a static ability that functions while the spell is on the stack. "Convoke" means "As an additional cost to play this spell, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Each creature tapped this way reduces the cost to play this spell by {1} or by one mana of any of that creature's colors." Using the convoke ability follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 409.1b and 4091f-h.
Example: You play Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi, a spell with convoke that costs {6}{G}{W}. You announce that you're going to tap a colorless creature, a red creature, and a green-and-white creature to help pay for it. The colorless creature and the red creature each reduce the spell's cost by {1}. You choose whether the green-white creature reduces the spell's cost by {1}, {G}, or {W}. Then the creatures become tapped as you pay Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi's cost.

502.46b Multiple instances of convoke on the same spell are redundant.

But this is just because you can't sacrifice it in the middle of paying a cost, right?

Not at all, you can in fact sacrifice the Cantor during the playing of a spell or ability; the Cantor's ability is a regular mana ability which are specially allowed to be used during the playing of another spell or ability. It's just that as I said, by the time you've played the mana ability and gotten the Mana, it's already in the graveyard, and all that happens just before you actually use the mana/tap the creatures to pay for the Convoke spell.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
This is how I assumed the mechanics worked, but the wording seemed a little hazy and I thought you might be able to do it as a technicality.

"Each creature you tap while playing this spell..."

That's not how the mechanic is worded, though; that's just the reminder text. Reminder text is there to give you a basic idea of how the mechanic functions without bogging you down in all the petty details.

Convoke actually works like this:
[indent]502.46a Convoke is a static ability that functions while the spell is on the stack. "Convoke" means "As an additional cost to play this spell, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Each creature tapped this way reduces the cost to play this spell by or by one mana of any of that creature's colors." Using the convoke ability follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f-h.
Example: You play Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi, a spell with convoke that costs . You announce that you're going to tap a colorless creature, a red creature, and a green-and-white creature to help pay for it. The colorless creature and the red creature each reduce the spell's cost by . You choose whether the green-white creature reduces the spell's cost by , , or . Then the creatures become tapped as you pay Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi's cost.
[/indent]

So you can't use Llanowar Elves for double-mana because if you tap it for mana, it won't be untapped for you to use it for Convoke. You can't use Wild Cantor because if you sacrifice it for mana it won't be around at all for Convoke.

But you could use Wall of Roots that way, because using its ability doesn't tap it or make it otherwise disappear, so it will still be around and untapped when the time comes to Convoke.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

It occurs to me that the Rules for Playing Spells might be useful here as well:
Q: How do I play spells and activated abilities?
A:

1. Announce the spell or ability you want to play, and place it on the stack.
2. If a mode is required ("Choose one — "), choose one. If there are any variable mana costs (X) you must announce those now.
3. If you wish to use any alternative, additional, or other special costs, you must announce that now. You cannot apply two alternative costs to the same spell or ability.
4. If there are any targets, you must announce how many there are (it if is variable), then announce what those targets are. A spell or ability can target a given target only once for each occurrence of the word "target". A spell or ability cannot target itself.
5. If the spell/ability affects targets in different ways, you must announce how each target is affected. If a spell/ability requires you to divide something (like damage or counters), you must announce how those things will be divided. Each target must receive at least one of whatever is being divided.
6. Determine the total cost of the spell/ability. Start with the base cost (mana cost, alternate cost, etc), add any cost increases, and then subtract any cost reductions. The result is then "locked in", and cannot be changed.
7. Play mana abilities until you have at least enough to pay the mana cost.
8. Pay all the costs in any order. Partial payments are not allowed.

9. Once these steps are completed, the spell/ability becomes played. Any abilities that trigger on a spell or ability being played or put onto the stack trigger at this time.
10. The player who had priority before the spell/ability was played again gains priority. (This is generally the person who played the spell or ability.)

(CR 409)

Note steps 7&8, bolded for emphasis: You must play all relevant mana abilities to acquire the mana before you pay the costs of the spell. It's like withdrawing cash from your bank account before you can go and spend it in the shops.
ΦΦΦΦΦ