Cauldron of Souls

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cauldron of Souls

quick question. Do the creatures that gain persist with he cauldron keep the keyword ability after they die? (as in able to die again and trigger persist again). Or are they considered to be entirely 'new' creatures without the persist ability?
They are new creatures that come into play without any memory of previous existance.
I see thank you.
Cauldron of Souls

quick question. Do the creatures that gain persist with he cauldron keep the keyword ability after they die? (as in able to die again and trigger persist again). Or are they considered to be entirely 'new' creatures without the persist ability?

When a card changes zones, it doesn't remember what happened in the previous zone it was in (I think the one exception is things going from the stack into play). Events that trigger when it changes zones have an extremely limited "memory" that can check what the object looked like immediately before and after the event, which allows abilities like Persist to work. In this case the game notices that the creature had Persist and was just put into the graveyard from play, therefore it should be returned to play with a -1/-1 counter. But beyond that no information is preserved. The creature that just came into play has no relation to the one that just left play. It might as well be a brand new creature card, the game doesn't care one way or the other.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
When a card changes zones, it doesn't remember what happened in the previous zone it was in (I think the one exception is things going from the stack into play).

There are three exceptions:
  • Stack -> In Play
  • In Play -> Phased Out
  • Phased Out -> In Play
Also, zone change triggers and replacements know just enough history to find the relevant object in its new zone.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011