Petrahydrox: Counterable?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The title pretty much explains it all. My friend played this creature and I was curious if counterspell works on this creature to send it to the graveyard instead of his hand.

Petrahydrox

If it is counterable, someone please help me word it in a way that will make sense to another person as to why it is.

Thanks! :D
Here's the rule:
Rule 402.8
402.8. Abilities of an instant or sorcery usually function only while the object is on the stack. Abilities of all other objects usually function only while that object is in play. The exceptions are as follows:

402.8a Characteristic-defining abilities function in all zones. (See rule 405.2.)

402.8b An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.

402.8c An ability of an object that modifies what it costs to play functions on the stack.

402.8d An object’s ability that restricts or modifies how that object can be played functions in any zone from which it could be played.

402.8e An object’s ability that modifies how it comes into play functions as that object is coming into play. See rule 419.6i.

402.8f An object’s activated ability that has a cost that can’t be paid while the object is in play functions from any zone in which its cost can be paid.

402.8g A trigger condition that can trigger only in a zone other than the in-play zone triggers from that zone. Other trigger conditions of the same triggered ability may function in different zones.
Example: Absolver Thrull has the ability “When Absolver Thrull comes into play or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment.” The first trigger condition triggers from the in-play zone and the second trigger condition functions from the removed-from-the-game zone. (See rule 502.51, “Haunt.”)

402.8h An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it’s on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless that ability’s trigger condition, or a previous part of that ability’s cost or effect, specifies that the object is put into that zone.
Example: Necrosavant says “, Sacrifice a creature: Return Necrosavant from your graveyard to play. Play this ability only during your upkeep.” A player may play this ability only if Necrosavant is in his or her graveyard.

Since it doesn't fall under any of those exceptions, the ability only works while it's in play. If it's targeted while it's a spell on the stack, it won't trigger, so it can be countered that way.
So basically, this 3(U/R) cost spell is a spell that has no abilities until it is a permanent in play?
So basically, this 3(U/R) cost spell is a spell that has no abilities until it is a permanent in play?

It has an ability, but the ability doesn't do anything unless Petrahydrox is in play.
I see, thank you for clearing that up.