Three Simple/Dumb Questions

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently got back into Magic after a 10+ year absence and I was a bit confused about a few things. I would greatly appreciate any help sent my way.
1) If a spell causes a creature -1/-1 and that creature is a 1/1, would this creature be killed?
2)Blocking: Can multiple creatures be designated to block one creature? Can I have two 2/2 creatures block in order to kill a 3/3 creature?
3)What is the differance between attach and equip on a card?

Again, please excuse my ignorance but these few things I do not remember and thank you for any help sent my way.
1: Yes
2: Yes. Any number of creatures may block a single creature unless an effect says otherwise.
3: Attach is normally used for abilites that can be played anytime you can play an instant, whereas the equip ability can only be played anytime you could play a sorcery as part of its rules definition.
The "equip" ability on an equipment is an ability that can only be played any time you could play a sorcery.

The effect of the equip ability is to attach the equipment to a target creature you control.

First, "equip" is a keyword ability, so it can be recognized by cards like Auriok Steelshaper and Leonin Shikari.

Second, the equip ability has a timing restriction:

502.33. Equip

502.33a Equip is an activated ability of Equipment cards. "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this Equipment to target creature you control. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery."

212.7e If a spell, ability, or effect states that a player can do something only "any time he or she could play a sorcery," it means only that the player must have priority, it must be during the main phase of his or her turn, and the stack must be empty. The player doesn’t need to have a sorcery he or she could actually play.

Oh, and you might find [thread=973044]The Returning Player Rules Primer[/thread] useful.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Thank you for that, that helps immensly. One last thing, how long does the equip/attach last?
Thanks again.
Indefinitely... As long as it remains legal.

There is no duration on Equipment, Aura or Fortifications.
Equipment stays attached to the creature until it's moved to a different creature, the equipment or the creature it's on leaves play, some effect or cost unattaches it (e.g. Carry Away), or the equipping becomes illegal (e.g. the creature gains protection from artifacts).
You all are amazing, thank you so much.

Attach is a somewhat flexible term that simply means to put that equipment/fortification/aura onto a certain object. It's not an "ability", it's an action just like "tap" or "destroy" that you perform whenever an effect tells you to. An Aura comes into play attached to the permanent you targeted when you played the spell, for instance. Lots of other things can attach or unattach auras and equipment simply by saying the word.

Equip, on the other hand, is a relatively narrow keyword ability that appears on all equipment cards. It says "Pay a cost: attach this equipment to a creature you control. Play this only when you could play a sorcery". Its role in attaching things to other things is similar to the role of the "Enchant ____" keyword on Auras; it's simply the easiest and most common way to perform the action of Attaching, but not the only way. Obsidian Battle-Axe, Cranial Plating or Magnetic Theft are examples of other ways that don't necessarily use the Equip ability.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Sign In to post comments