Knollspine Invocation

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Knollspine Invocation

how do i play this card can someone explain it to me ?

i discard a card from my hand and it does dmg equal to the mana cost ?
If you want to play the activated ability, you declare a value for X, then you pay X mana and discard a card with converted mana cost X. This means that the Invocation will deal X damage when the ability resolves.

Example: You want X to equal 5, so you pay and discard Savage Beating, and the ability would deal 5 damage on resolution.
You pay X and you discard a card with the converted mana cost of X. Then when the ability resolves, you deal X damage to the targeted creature or player. So if you want to deal 2 damage, you'll need to pay 2 mana and discard a card with a converted mana cost of 2.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Knollspine Invocation

how do i play this card can someone explain it to me ?

i discard a card from my hand and it does dmg equal to the mana cost ?

The [post=15159536]FAQ[/post] explains how to play an activated ability. Here are its steps:

• Announce the spell or ability you want to play, and place it on the stack.
    In this case, that would be the ", Discard a card with converted mana cost X: Knollspine Invocation deals X damage to target creature or player." ability itself.
  • If a mode is required ("Choose one — "), choose one. If there are any variable mana costs (X) you must announce those now.
    There is an in the cost, so you now specify the value of X.
  • If you wish to use any alternative, additional, or other special costs, you must announce that now. You cannot apply two alternative costs to the same spell or ability.
    Not relevant to this ability.
  • If there are any targets, you must announce how many there are (it if is variable), then announce what those targets are. A spell or ability can target a given target only once for each occurrence of the word "target". A spell or ability cannot target itself.
    The one target must be a creature or player, and this is when you identify it.
  • If the spell/ability affects targets in different ways, you must announce how each target is affected. If a spell/ability requires you to divide something (like damage or counters), you must announce how those things will be divided. Each target must receive at least one of whatever is being divided.
    Not relevant to this ability.
  • Determine the total cost of the spell/ability. Start with the base cost (mana cost, alternate cost, etc), add any cost increases, and then subtract any cost reductions. The result is then "locked in", and cannot be changed.
    The cost depends on the value of X. For example, if you specified X=5, the cost is spending 5 mana and discarding a card with a converted mana cost of 5.
  • Play mana abilities until you have at least enough to pay the mana cost.
    If you don't already have enough mana in your pool to pay , this is when you correct that shortage.
  • Pay all the costs in any order. Partial payments are not allowed.
    This is when you spend the mana from your pool and discard the card.
  • Once these steps are completed, the spell/ability becomes played. Any abilities that trigger on a spell or ability being played or put onto the stack trigger at this time.
    No additional note needed.
  • The player who had priority before the spell/ability was played again gains priority. (This is generally the person who played the spell or ability.)
    No additional note needed.

Of course, the above sequence is separate from playing the card, which consists of the usual procedure of putting the card on the stack and paying the cost ( in this case).

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments