StRipPeR mAdNeSs

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok, my opponent has an untapped strip mine and my turn i draw a mountain and play it, do i have a chance to add a red to my mana pool, or can he strip it (oooh baby) before that happens?
ok, my opponent has an untapped strip mine and my turn i draw a mountain and play it, do i have a chance to add a red to my mana pool, or can he strip it (oooh baby) before that happens?

After playing your Mountain, you get priority first...since it's your turn.
Even if you passed and he then played Strip Mine's activated ability, you can still respond to the Mine's ability by playing your Mountain's activated ability.
Even if you passed and he then played Strip Mine's activated ability, you can still respond to the Mine's ability by playing your Mountain's activated ability.

I am positive tapping for mana off a land isnt an activated ability.
Otherwise you could stifle it and such.

...and you are Wrong.
[indent]403.1. An activated ability is written as "[cost]: [effect]." The activation cost is everything before the colon [noparse]([/noparse]. An ability's activation cost must be paid by the player who is playing it.

212.6g The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words "basic land type," it's referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has an intrinsic ability to produce colored mana. (See rule 406, "Mana Abilities.") The land is treated as if its text box included, ": Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool," even if the text box doesn't actually contain text or the card has no text box. Plains produce white mana; Islands, blue; Swamps, black; Mountains, red; and Forests, green.[/indent]
Otherwise you could stifle it and such.

Again, you are Wrong.
[indent]406.4. A mana ability can be activated or triggered. Mana abilities are played and resolved like other abilities, but they don't go on the stack, so they can't be countered or responded to. See rule 411, "Playing Mana Abilities," and rule 408.2, "Actions That Don't Use the Stack."[/indent]Or, you could have just read the Reminder text on Stifle...
[indent]Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)[/indent]
...and you are Wrong.
[indent]403.1. An activated ability is written as "[cost]: [effect]." The activation cost is everything before the colon (. An ability's activation cost must be paid by the player who is playing it.

212.6g The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words "basic land type," it's referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has an intrinsic ability to produce colored mana. (See rule 406, "Mana Abilities.") The land is treated as if its text box included, ": Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool," even if the text box doesn't actually contain text or the card has no text box. Plains produce white mana; Islands, blue; Swamps, black; Mountains, red; and Forests, green.[/indent]
Again, you are Wrong.
[indent]406.4. A mana ability can be activated or triggered. Mana abilities are played and resolved like other abilities, but they don't go on the stack, so they can't be countered or responded to. See rule 411, "Playing Mana Abilities," and rule 408.2, "Actions That Don't Use the Stack."[/indent]Or, you could have just read the Reminder text on Stifle...
[indent]Counter target activated or triggered ability. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)[/indent]

Ok I understand I am wrong on the first half. I still think it really isnt an activated ability because it cannot be countered, goes through split second, and others.

On the second half I was right.
You CANT stifle it.

I said in the original post of mine that its not an activated ability (I was wrong) and going on, therefore it stifling is useless. Now rearranging my words to say:

You cannot stifle it because its not an activated ability.

The two sentences I made couldve been one and meant to have been. Therefore the not would continue through the second one.
Ok I understand I am wrong on the first half. I still think it really isnt an activated ability because it cannot be countered, goes through split second, and others.

On the second half I was right.
You CANT stifle it.

I said in the original post of mine that its not an activated ability (I was wrong) and going on, therefore it stifling is useless. Now rearranging my words to say:

You cannot stifle it because its not an activated ability.

The two sentences I made couldve been one and meant to have been. Therefore the not would continue through the second one.

An activated mana ability (which is all Basic lands have and most other lands too) is both an activated ability and a mana ability. Mana abilities do not use the stack and cannot be responded to, which is why Stifle does not work on the activated ability of a land. Things like split second exclude interfering with mana abilities. “Split second” means “As long as this spell is on the stack, players can’t play other spells or abilities that aren’t mana abilities.” It is still an activated ability which is why a Creature Land (ex: Dryad Arbor) would require haste in order to tap for mana on the turn it comes into play.
An activated mana ability (which is all Basic lands have and most other lands too) is both an activated ability and a mana ability. Mana abilities do not use the stack and cannot be responded to, which is why Stifle does not work on the activated ability of a land. Things like split second exclude interfering with mana abilities. “Split second” means “As long as this spell is on the stack, players can’t play other spells or abilities that aren’t mana abilities.” It is still an activated ability which is why a Creature Land (ex: Dryad Arbor) would require haste in order to tap for mana on the turn it comes into play.

Yes and my original post said that you cant Stifle adding mana from a land.
I also know that the Arbor doesnt have haste so you cant tap it for mana. Its a creature. Creatures have summoning sickness unless otherwise stated. I dont get what you meant by adding this comment.
They are responding to the FIRST part of your post.

Nitpick: You never passed priority.
Nitpick: You never passed priority.

So?
As soon as you are finished the Special Action of playing a Land, you will get Priority.
[indent]408.2d Playing a land is a special action consisting of putting that land into play. (See rule 212.6, "Lands.") A player can choose to perform this special action only during a main phase of his or her turn, when he or she has priority and the stack is empty. If a player had priority before playing a land, that player gets priority after this special action.[/indent]THIS is what prevents you from trying to play a second Gaea's Cradle, and trying to it for Mana before the Legendary Rule puts both into the Graveyard.
Right.
The part "since it's your turn" just seemed to suggest that priority was given just as when a spell or ability has resolved (i.e. to the active player).
But you will retain priority until you pass priority. As you pointed out, technically you regain priority after you take a special action or play a spell or an ability (because SBEs need to be checked).
Sign In to post comments