Magus of the Moon

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I searched under the Rules Q&A to view previous topics about this, but I still have a few questions left. I know this:

Nonbasic lands lose all other abilities and gain the type Mountain and therefore the mana ability "TAP: add R to your mana pool". Supertypes are not affected.

I still have two questions:

1. For the ravnica shock lands, like Watery Grave, does the "as it comes into play" ability still exist, since it's not in play yet, and therefore not yet affected by Magus of the Moon? So they become Mountains that come into play tapped unless you pay 2 life?

2. Do artifact lands lose the type "artifact"? I guess my question is whether or not "artifact" is a supertype or type.

I think those two are true but I'm not completely sure.
I searched under the Rules Q&A to view previous topics about this, but I still have a few questions left. I know this:

Nonbasic lands lose all other abilities and gain the type Mountain and therefore the mana ability "TAP: add R to your mana pool". Supertypes are not affected.

I still have two questions:

1. For the ravnica shock lands, like Watery Grave, does the "as it comes into play" ability still exist, since it's not in play yet, and therefore not yet affected by Magus of the Moon? So they become Mountains that come into play tapped unless you pay 2 life?

2. Do artifact lands lose the type "artifact"? I guess my question is whether or not "artifact" is a supertype or type.

I think those two are true but I'm not completely sure.

1. Yes, you still have to pay the two life for the reason you have given. They choice is given before any SBE are checked.

2. No. Artifact is a card type rather than a super- or sub-type and will stay. Ancient Den will still be an artifact with Magus of the Moon in play.
I think Artifact Lands won't stop being artifacts, but I'm not so sure about the first question.
1. Yes, you still have to pay the two life for the reason you have given. They choice is given before any SBE are checked.

2. No. Artifact is a card type rather than a super- or sub-type and will stay. Seat of Synod will still be an artifact with Magus of the Moon in play.

Could you please quote the rule that affects question 1? I have no idea why that would be (not that I disagree, however: I'm just clueless).
Could you please quote the rule that affects question 1? I have no idea why that would be (not that I disagree, however: I'm just clueless).

Comes into Play
When a permanent comes into play, first apply any replacement effects, then apply continuous effects, then check to determine if the current form of the permanent generates any triggered abilities.

Watery Grave coming into play tapped is a replacement effect. Magus of the Moon has a continuous effect.

I have no idea why he mentions SBEs. They aren't involved at all here.

But I do believe that he is right about the ability. The Magus affects the lands the moment they enter play. But not before they enter play. As you play a shock land, the ability is still present and will cause the land to come into play tapped (as a Mountain) unless you pay the 2 life.

EDIT: Or you could just read the rule quoted by Guardian above. ;)
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Thanks!

418.1. A continuous effect modifies characteristics of objects, modifies control of objects, or affects players or the rules of the game, for a fixed or indefinite period. A continuous effect may be generated by the resolution of a spell or ability or by a static ability of an object.

418.2. Continuous effects that modify characteristics of permanents do so simultaneously with the permanent coming into play. They don’t wait until the permanent is in play and then change it. Because such effects apply as the permanent comes into play, apply them before determining whether the permanent will cause an ability to trigger when it comes into play.

Magus of the Moon's static ability generates a continuous effect that affects lands that are in play.

419.6i. Some replacement effects modify how a permanent would be put into play. (See rules 419.1b–c.) Such effects check only the copiable values of the characteristics of that permanent as it would exist in play. Continuous effects that affected its characteristics in its previous zone or that will affect its characteristics once it’s in play are not taken into account. Replacement effects that have already modified how it would be put into play are taken into account, however. (See rule 503.5.) Some permanents have static abilities that modify how a general subset of permanents would be put into play; such an ability doesn’t affect the permanent itself or any permanents coming into play at the same time as it.

Thanks everyone, Magus of the Moon confusion occurs quite often.
For the record, the rule that Denali posted is out of date.

[419.6i] was changed to allow Changelings to get the "additional +1/+1 counter" from the Morningtide cycle of Creatures.

[indent]419.6i Some replacement effects modify how a permanent comes into play. (See rules 419.1b-c.) Such effects may come from the permanent itself if they affect only that permanent (as opposed to a general subset of permanents that includes it). They may also come from other sources. To determine how and whether these replacement effects apply, check the characteristics of the permanent as it would exist in play, taking into account replacement effects that have already modified how it comes into play, continuous effects generated by the resolution of spells or abilities that changed the permanent's characteristics on the stack (see rule 217.1c), and continuous effects from the permanent's own static abilities, but ignoring continuous effects from any other source that would affect it.[/indent]