Ability question I could not find in FAQ'S

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a card that says you must use basic forests to cast this creature. ( I appologize for not knowing the card name).

Would this card then be considered to have an ability?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Imperiosaur does have an ability. Any non-italicized text in card's text box counts as an ability.

(Note: you're required to use only mana from basic lands, but it doesn't all have to come from Forests. You could use mana from other basic lands to pay for the ).
Thanks for the help... Not happy about the answer. but oh well.
Thanks for the help... Not happy about the answer. but oh well.

Let me guess: Muraganda Petroglyphs?
so no, it does not get the +2/+2 benefit from Muraganda Petroglyphs.

and its ability would limit its manner of being played in certain instances
say with Conspiracy set to Knight and Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Imperiosaur in the graveyard. You'd still have to pay for it with mana from basic lands.

although...
I'm not sure what would happen if Fist of Suns was in play. Would the have to be paid with basic mana?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

although...
I'm not sure what would happen if Fist of Suns was in play. Would the have to be paid with basic mana?

That seems the logical conclusion. Just because you're paying an alternate cost doesn't mean his ability no longer applies.

(Assuming "Basic Mana" = "Mana from Basic Lands" ;) )

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
Would a Fire Elemental get +2/+2 from Muraganda Petroglyphs if you also have a Caterwauling Boggart in play?

I can't decide for sure whether the Fire Elemental has an ability granted by the Boggart. I don't think it does. I think the Boggart creates a Rules modification with its effect. But I'm not certain.

Edit: And sorry for the threadjack.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
No abilities are granted. The Boggart just changes the rules.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Caterwauling Boggart does not grant an ability to elementals you control. It has a static ability that modifies the rules of blocking as long as the boggart is in play.
Ok. That's what I thought, just wasn't certain.

Thanks.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Sign In to post comments