Wild Ricochet

how do i use this spell ?

lets say my opponent uses Tarfire and i use Wild Ricochet

what can i do ?
Wild Ricochet

what can i do ?

Thanks for autocarding! Let's break it down...

"You may choose new targets for target instant or sorcery spell."

First, it lets you change the target of an existing instant or sorcery. In this case, you aimed it at your opponent's Tarfire. So you can now change the Tarfire to aim at one of his creatures, or at him instead of it hitting you or one of your creatures. Handy, eh?

"Then copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy."

You copy his spell (Tarfire), and get to aim it where you choose. So you can hit another of his creatures, or get in another 2 damage to your opponent.

Whereas originally you were going to take 2 damage, now your opponent is taking 4 damage!

Does that make sense?

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
You do what the Card says.

You change the Target of the Tarfire spell.
Then, you put a Spell Copy of Tarfire on the Stack.
Wild Ricochet

what can i do ?

As with any spell that targets, you would choose the target (an "instant or sorcery spell", e.g., a Tarfire spell) before paying the cost ( in this case).

When it resolves, you following the instructions in order. I'll assume the target instant or sorcery spell was Tarfire.

You may choose new targets for target instant or sorcery spell.

You don't have to choose a new "target creature or player", but in this case you'd probably want to.
Then copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

503.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics (name, mana cost, color, card type, supertype, subtype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, loyalty) and, for an object on the stack, choices made when playing it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether a kicker cost was paid, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values that are printed on the object, as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . comes into play" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

503.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell or ability isn’t "played." A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made when it was played, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 409, "Playing Spells and Activated Abilities.") Choices that are normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is owned by the player who controlled the spell or ability that created it. A copy of a spell or ability is controlled by the player who put it on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.

You would put a copy of Tarfire on the stack, possibly with a different target. This would work exactly the same way as anything else that copies a spell.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments