Untap oh boy

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOmJnEQqi4g&feature=user

after watching the untap video i still have no idea how to use the ability lol

can i attack then pay the ability cost untap, gain flying and attack again ?

and why didn't he attack twice in the video

and can you tap a card and not do anything
You only get one combat phase per turn. Just because a creature becomes untapped doesn't mean it gets to attack again. (Otherwise, Vigilance would be ba-roken.)

No, you can't tap a card just because you want to. You can't do anything in the game unless a rule or effect permits it.
Did you bother to read the Rules primer?
***New Symbol: The Untap Symbol***

The untap symbol is the analog of the tap symbol. Represented as {Q} in rules documents, it looks like a white J-shaped arrow (with the arrowhead pointing up) on a black circle.

Merrow Wavebreakers
{4}{U}
Creature -- Merfolk Soldier
3/3
{1}{U}, {Q}: Merrow Wavebreakers gains flying until end of turn. ({Q} is the untap symbol.)

* The untap symbol appears only in the costs of activated abilities. It means "Untap this permanent."

* If the permanent is already untapped, you can't play its {Q} ability. That's because you can't pay the "Untap this permanent" cost.

* The "summoning sickness" rule applies to {Q}. If a creature with an {Q} ability hasn't been under your control since your most recent turn began, you can't play that ability. Ignore this rule if the creature also has haste.

* When you play an {Q} ability, you untap the creature with that ability as a cost. The untap can't be responded to. (The actual ability can be responded to, of course.)

The relevant rules for the untap symbol are as follows:

104.5. The untap symbol is {Q}. The untap symbol in an activation cost means "Untap this permanent." A permanent that's already untapped can't be untapped again to pay the cost. Creatures that haven't been under a player's control continuously since the beginning of his or her most recent turn can't use any ability with the untap symbol in the cost. See rule 212.3f.

212.3f A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can't be played unless the creature has been under its controller's control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control since the start of his or her most recent turn. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule. Ignore this rule for creatures with haste (see rule 502.5).

502.5b A creature with haste can attack or use activated abilities whose cost includes the tap symbol or the untap symbol even if it hasn't been controlled by its controller continuously since the start of his or her most recent turn. (See rule 212.3f.)

There is only one Combat Phase per turn.
Merely untapping a Creature does NOT change this.

And, No.
You can not Tap a Permanent just because you 'feel like it'.
in the video the guy taps a card for no reason or im i missing something ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOmJnEQqi4g&feature=user

after watching the untap video i still have no idea how to use the ability lol

can i attack then pay the ability cost untap, gain flying and attack again ?

and why didn't he attack twice in the video

and can you tap a card and not do anything

No, you can't just tap a card just to tap it. If you're tapping a card, and that card has a tap effect, you have to activate that effect.
in the video the guy taps a card for no reason or im i missing something ?

Being Declared as Attacking causes Creatures to become tapped.
[indent]308.2c The active player taps the chosen creatures. Tapping a creature when it's declared as an attacker isn't a cost; attacking simply causes creatures to become tapped.[/indent]
ok so i have to say im attacking and tap my creature then i play its ability and untap and gain flying

then i have to tap again to attack ?
No. Once your creature is attacking, it stays attacking until either combat is over or it's removed from combat for some reason (usually because it died or otherwise left play, but there are other ways). Untapping (or tapping) a creature doesn't cause it to cease attacking.
ok so i have to say im attacking and tap my creature then i play its ability and untap and gain flying

then i have to tap again to attack ?

No, it's still attacking. Just because you untapped it doesn't mean it stopped attacking.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
No.

As We already said, there is only ONE Combat Phase per turn.
Since there is only ONE Combat Phase, you can only Declare the Creature as attacking ONCE per turn.

Merely untapping it does NOT change this.
ok i think i got it

i declare attack and tap

then pay the ability and it untaps and gains flying

i can then attack BUT it remains untaped and i can use it to block next turn

did i get it right ? hehe
Are you repeating yourself, or trying to attack twice?

If it's the former, Yes.
You can Declare it as attacking (ONCE), which causes it to become tapped.
Then, play the Untap ability to give it Flying.

If it's the latter, No.
As We have stated repeatedly.
ok i think i got it

i declare attack and tap

then pay the ability and it untaps and gains flying

i can then attack BUT it remains untaped and i can use it to block next turn

did i get it right ? hehe

Your sequence is a bit off, so let's go through this nice and slow:

1) The Combat Phase begins. You and your opponent pass priority in the Beginning of Combat step.
2) The Declare Attackers step begins. You declare creature A (a creature whose name has not been revealed to me since I didn't feel like watching the video and you didn't feel like mentioning its name) as attacking. This causes creature A to tap, assuming that it doesn't have Vigilance.
3) You receive priority. You announce that you're playing creature A's activated ability. The ability goes on the stack. You pay the cost by untapping creature A and probably paying some unknown amount of mana.
4) You pass priority. Your opponent passes priority. The ability played in 3 resolves and creature A is now a flying creature.
5) You pass priority. Your opponent passes priority. The Declare Attackers step ends.
6) The Declare Blockers step begins...
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel