Fire//Ice and Goblin Piledriver

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in a game I played Fire on my opponent's Goblin Piledriver. We both agree that only one side of the card exists while the split card is on the stack, but the issue is whether or not I can play the card in the first place. You can't play a spell that needs a target and does not have one, and the issue deals with how the timing works of playing a spell and when it goes on the stack. When I play Fire and target the goblin, is it on the stack then or not(and therefore still blue)?
So in a game I played Fire on my opponent's Goblin Piledriver. We both agree that only one side of the card exists while the split card is on the stack, but the issue is whether or not I can play the card in the first place. You can't play a spell that needs a target and does not have one, and the issue deals with how the timing works of playing a spell and when it goes on the stack. When I play Fire and target the goblin, is it on the stack then or not(and therefore still blue)?

The first action of playing a spell (other than announcing it) is to put it on the stack. Targets are chosen AFTER that point.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
You announce that you're playing Fire and put the card on the stack. At that point, only the Fire half matters, and it's not blue, so it can target the Piledriver.
Thanks, I just wanted to clear this up as the situation occurs quite often with me (me playing Fire on a Piledriver, not the disagreement).
Sign In to post comments