Wild Swing (Shadowmoor) vs. Cone of Flame and targeting

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!

Cone of Flame reads:

"Cone of Flame deals 1 damage to target creature or player, 2 damage to another target creature or player, and 3 damage to a third target creature or player."

If one of these targets is made illegal, the whole spell fizzles, correct?

Wild Swing reads (allegedly):

"Choose three target nonenchantment permanents. Destroy one of them at random."

I feel like the "choose three target" part occurs on resolution, correct? It doesn't target like Cone of Flame... making one target illegal does nothing to stop the spell.

or does it?

What's the difference between these 2 spells regarding targeting?
Hi!

Cone of Flame reads:

"Cone of Flame deals 1 damage to target creature or player, 2 damage to another target creature or player, and 3 damage to a third target creature or player."

If one of these targets is made illegal, the whole spell fizzles, correct?

Wild Swing reads (allegedly):

"Choose three target nonenchantment permanents. Destroy one of them at random."

I feel like the "choose three target" part occurs on resolution, correct? It doesn't target like Cone of Flame... making one target illegal does nothing to stop the spell.

or does it?

What's the difference between these 2 spells regarding targeting?

With both spells (as you have presented their texts), the targets are chosen as the spell is played. Also, both spells will still resolve (and do as much as it can) as long as at least one target is still legal upon resolution.

Targets are always chosen when the spell or ability is played. The fact that it is worded as "choose three target" doesnt change the fact that they are still targets, and are thus still chosen when it is played.
... so removing any one of the targets doesn't counter either spell?

Assuming one target is made illegal, both Cone of Flame and Wild Swing will "hit" the remaining two targets?
Yes. A spell or ability is only countered if all of its targets are illegal. When the spell goes to resolve, as long as at least one target is still legal, the spell will resolve as best as it can with the targets that are still legal.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

A spell is only countered on resolution if all of its targets are illegal. If some of its targets are still legal, it will do as much as it can, ignoring those targets that are illegal.
to continue this...

If I remove one of the targets from Wild Swing... does that removed target still figure into the second part of this spell? Does the "Destroy one of them at random" become 1/2 or remain 1/3?
to continue this...

If I remove one of the targets from Wild Swing... does that removed target still figure into the second part of this spell? Does the "Destroy one of them at random" become 1/2 or remain 1/3?

In that case, "them" would consist of two (2) nonenchantment permanents, each of which would have a 1/2 chance of being randomly selected for destruction.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments