"Whenever an opponent plays a spell" Trigger

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
My opponent suspends two Rift Bolts during his turn. Now during my turn I play Taurean Mauler. At the begining of is next up keep both suspended rift bolts trigger putting them on the stack.

My question is, since they both trigger at the same time, do they both get "played" then go on the stack again to resolve each spell or does one trigger resolve playing the first spell, then that spell resolves before the next one triggers and gets played?

In the example above my opponent says, that when first one triggers it get's played which means he can target my mauler dealing 3 damage. This would kill my mauler since it is now a 3/3 do to the spell being played. Then the second rift bolt would trigger which he could then aim at me.

I hope that made sense...
My question is, since they both trigger at the same time, do they both get "played" then go on the stack again to resolve the spell or does one trigger resolve playing the spell, then resolving that spell, before the next one triggers and gets played?

At the beginning of your opponent's upkeep, two triggered abilities go on the stack "remove a time counter from bolt A" and "remove a time counter from bolt B". Your opponent (as he controls both triggers) gets to put them on the stack in the order of his choice (since they are identical, the order doesnt really matter)
  • Remove a time counter from Bolt A <--- top of the stack
  • "Remove a time counter from Bolt B <--- bottom of the stack

When he resolves the first of those triggers, another trigger goes on the stack which says "Play this spell without paying its mana cost".
  • Play Bolt A without paying its mana cost <--- top of the stack
  • Remove a time counter from Bolt B <--- bottom of the stack

As the top trigger resolves, he plays the spell, choosing its target in the process. On completion of this, Taurean mauler triggers.
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on taurean mauler <--- Top of the stack
  • Bolt A deals 3 damage to Taurean Mauler
  • Remove a time counter from Bolt B <--- Bottom of the stack

Assuming your mauler was a 2/2 when all of this started, it will get a +1/+1 counter (making it 3/3), then it will take 3 damage and die, then the third bolt will get played, and deal 3 damage to its target.
OK that's what I thought. Thank you for clarifying it.