What are 1/1 creature tokens

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
i just wanted to ask a questing to all the magic players out there. I'm new to the game and cant seem to figure out what 1/1 creature tokens are. I am playing the morningtide decks right now and have several cards that use these tokens. any help would be appreciated

feel free to e-mail me at [email]Grateslapper@yahoo.com[/email]
Tokens are a way to create a creature without there actually being a card associated with it. For the most part, token creatures are exactly like normal creatures. The most notable differences are that if a token leaves play, it ceases to exist, and tokens are not actual cards (they can be represented with whatever you like).

Token creatures have whatever characteristics are defined for them by the ability that created it. For example, if you have an effect creates a 1/1 black faerie rogue with flying, the token has the name "Faerie Rogue", the creature types "Faerie" and "Rogue, and is a 1/1 black creature with flying (it has no mana cost).
To more-or-less copy from another post on this topic.

DCI Touney Rules:

37. Game Markers
Game markers, such as tokens or reminders of a game effect, may not be designated by cards with identical backs as the cards in a player’s deck if the deck is unsleeved. If the deck is sleeved, game markers may not have sleeve backs identical to those on the cards in the player’s deck.
Small items (i.e. Glass beads, dice, etc...) may be used as markers and placed atop your library (for example, as a reminder for upkeep effects). Cards may not be used. These markers may not disguise the number of cards remaining in a player’s deck or completely obscure the top card of the deck.
A judge may disallow the use of game markers that may cause confusion with regard to the state of the game, or that are deemed inappropriate or offensive.

In other words, tokens are usually creatures represented by some other object. A 1/1 Elf Creature Token is simply an Elf Creature with a power and toughness of 1/1. Because it's not a card that can be used in a deck (since they're somehow created) They're represented by some other matter.

There are some special rules that apply to tokens
Show
216. Tokens
216.1. Some effects put tokens into play. A token is controlled by whomever put it into play and owned
by the controller of the spell or ability that created it
. (If no player controlled the effect that created
it, the token is owned by whomever put it into play.) The spell or ability may define any number of
characteristics for the token. This becomes the token’s “text.” The characteristics defined this way
are functionally equivalent to the characteristics that are printed on a card; for example, they define
the token’s copiable values. A token doesn’t have any characteristics not defined by the spell or
ability that created it.
216.1a A spell or ability that creates a creature token sets both its name and its creature type. If the
spell or ability doesn’t specify the name of the creature token, its name is the same as its
creature type(s). A “Goblin Scout creature token,” for example, is named “Goblin Scout” and
has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a token is in play, changing its name doesn’t
change its creature type, and vice versa.
216.2. A token is subject to anything that affects permanents in general or that affects the token’s card
type or subtype. A token isn’t a card (even if represented by a card that has a Magic back or that
came from a Magic booster pack).
216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist. This is a state-based effect. (Note
that a token changing zones sets off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.)
216.4 A token that has left play can’t come back into play. If such a token would return to play, it
remains in its current zone instead. It ceases to exist the next time state-based effects are checked.

You can use anything as tokens so long as they're distinct from magic cards in play.

You can use coins, beads, token cards, pieces of lint, cups, pieces of paper, unsleeved magic cards faced down if you have sleeved cards (or vice versa), jewelry, kittens... etc.

Note: Kittens do not like being tapped.
well thank you very much it all makes sense now XD
To more-or-less copy from another post on this topic.

Note: Kittens do not like being tapped.

I'm takin' kittens to FNM, and when i pull em out and put em on the table and they're like wtf?!?! I'll point them to this post and be like ... it's legal man!!!

:invasion: