Tap and Untap infinite loops concern

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I just read an article on the Wizards - Magic the Gathering web page stating:

In this case, I'm going to use Leech Bonder (and Paradise Mantle) to move time counters off of Chronozoa and on to Leech Bonder itself (where they will promptly do nothing). With unlimited counter-removal, you can cause your first Chronozoa to "vanish," which will produce two copies of the Illusion. Cause one of those two to "vanish" by removing all of its time counters, and you will make two new copies. Each time through, you will gain a Chronozoa token. Stop when you get to infinity. The beauty of this combo is that you can pull it off whenever you like, once you have all three pieces in play. If you would prefer to win instantly with your infinite Chronozoas, you can sacrifice them to something like Blasting Station, Altar of Dementia, or Goblin Bombardment, or just give them haste with Anger, Fires of Yavimaya, or, heck, Surge of Zeal. You can also make an infinitely large Tidewalker by transferring all of those time counters on to it.

Is there some rules clarification on a tap and untap ability? such as if there is a limit or if it truely stretches to infinity?

This appears to be very easy to get a broken combo going in almost any edition.
Section 421 of the Comprehensive Rules deals with limiting infinite loops. Typically, you'll end up choosing an arbitrarily large, but finite number of times to perform the loop.

But other than being able to pay the costs, there's nothing inherent in activated abilities that would prevent you from using them as many times as you wish. Any that need limits will specifically state when or how often you may use them. If they don't specify that, then you may use them repeatedly provided you can pay the activation cost.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
So I just read an article on the Wizards - Magic the Gathering web page stating:

In this case, I'm going to use Leech Bonder (and Paradise Mantle) to move time counters off of Chronozoa and on to Leech Bonder itself (where they will promptly do nothing). With unlimited counter-removal, you can cause your first Chronozoa to "vanish," which will produce two copies of the Illusion. Cause one of those two to "vanish" by removing all of its time counters, and you will make two new copies. Each time through, you will gain a Chronozoa token. Stop when you get to infinity. The beauty of this combo is that you can pull it off whenever you like, once you have all three pieces in play. If you would prefer to win instantly with your infinite Chronozoas, you can sacrifice them to something like Blasting Station, Altar of Dementia, or Goblin Bombardment, or just give them haste with Anger, Fires of Yavimaya, or, heck, Surge of Zeal. You can also make an infinitely large Tidewalker by transferring all of those time counters on to it.

Is there some rules clarification on a tap and untap ability? such as if there is a limit or if it truely stretches to infinity?

there are lots of infinite combos

such as
ornithopter
enduring renewal
ashnod's altar
mountain
fireball

one iteration
sac Ornithopter to Ashnod's Altar gain 2 mana
Ornithopter returns to your hand via Enduring Renewal
replay Ornithopter

repeat as desired for large amounts of mana
tap 1 mountain
play fireball killing everyone/everything

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

The combo you describe is legal. Whether it's broken or not is not a rules question, but I'd like to point out that it's a three-card combo, and there are lots of two-card and three-card combos in existence that let you repeat an effect arbitrarily many times.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel