Two questions...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two questions:

If I wanted can I use Mothdust Changeling's activated ability more than once in the same turn? Can I tap a creature I control to give it flying then tap another creature to give it flying again? I know giving it flying more than once won't do anything, but I was just wondering.

Also, I've heard two different explinations on tokens going to the graveyard. Do tokens hit the graveyard then dissolve, or do they not hit the graveyard at all?

Thanks in advance!
Two questions:

If I wanted can I use Mothdust Changeling's activated ability more than once in the same turn? Can I tap a creature I control to give it flying then tap another creature to give it flying again? I know giving it flying more than once won't do anything, but I was just wondering.

You can play an activated ability as many times as you wish and can pay the full cost, unless a rule or effect restricts you from doing so.

Also, I've heard two different explinations on tokens going to the graveyard. Do tokens hit the graveyard then dissolve, or do they not hit the graveyard at all?

Thanks in advance!

A creature is a creature. Whether it is a token or not is irrelevant, unless a spell or ability explicitly says otherwise.

Nothing in the game stops a token anything from going to the graveyard. Something causes tokens which have gone to the graveyard to cease existing. From the list of SBEs :
420.5f A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist.

For that to work, it must be possible for tokens to go to zones other than in play.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You can play an activated ability as many times as you wish and can pay the full cost, unless a rule or effect restricts you from doing so.

A creature is a creature. Whether it is a token or not is irrelevant, unless a spell or ability explicitly says otherwise.

Nothing in the game stops a token anything from going to the graveyard. Something causes tokens which have gone to the graveyard to cease existing. From the list of SBEs : For that to work, it must be possible for tokens to go to zones other than in play.

I thought when tokens hit the gravecard it gets removed right away because there this card were if a creature hits the graveyard target player sacifices a creature so this would work with tokens as well most be?
I thought when tokens hit the gravecard it gets removed right away because there this card were if a creature hits the graveyard target player sacifices a creature so this would work with tokens as well most be?

Yes This will work , because the tokens hit the graveyard just long enough to trigger the ability, then they cease to exist
Level 2 Judge Atlanta, GA

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

The token does not get removed as part of the event that puts it into the graveyard.

If you Terminate a creature token (let's say a 3/3 Elephant token) then, when the spell resolves, the token is destroyed. To destroy a creature is to move it from the in-play zone to the graveyard. When it gets there the destruction event is over. Any triggered abilities that trigger on a creature going to the graveyard trigger now. They sort of flap around loose for a while, but they have triggered.

Next, another event happens called a state-based event check. This is what causes the token to cease to exist.

If there are any changes as a result of this SBE check, it is repeated. That occurs until there are no more changes.

Now we have to deal with triggered abilities that have fired since the last time any player had priority. This is when the trigger that fired when the token was destroyed goes on the stack.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
A card like Mothdust Changeling will have interesting combo potential with the new untap feature showing up in Shadowmoor!!
A card like Mothdust Changeling will have interesting combo potential with the new untap feature showing up in Shadowmoor!!

Be that as it may, this is Rules Q&A. Please keep strategy discussions in the strategy forums, and spoilers in Future Set Speculation or in [noparse]
Show
spoiler tags
[/noparse].
Sign In to post comments