Deathrender

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi.
Assume I have a token equiped with Deathrender and it gets wasted with any kind of removal.. If I have a creature card in my hand will the Deathrender trigger activate?

Thanks
Hi.
Assume I have a token equiped with Deathrender and it gets wasted with any kind of removal.. If I have a creature card in my hand will the Deathrender trigger activate?

Thanks

Please autocard.

Deathrender

Is the token a creature?

Game rules and effects do not distinguish between tokens and nontokens by default. If some ability triggers off a creature going to the graveyard, then that ability only cares about whether the creature is a token or not if it explicitly checks for tokenness. Bridge from Below is a good example; the first effect cares whether the creature is a token or not; the second does not care.

Deathrender does not care whether the creature is a token or not, therefore its ability triggers.

(The ability is a triggered ability that triggers, not an activated ability that is activated. The distinction between these types of ability is quite important in Magic, so please don't talk about triggered abilities activating, or vice versa).
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I have another deathrender question.
When the ability triggers, and you choose to bring a creature into play, can you choose not to attach deathrender to it?
When the ability triggers, and you choose to bring a creature into play, can you choose not to attach deathrender to it?

No.

You have the option to not put a creature into play, but if you do put one into play, the deathrender will attach to it (unless of course the deathrender can't attach to it, eg Pristine Angel)
I have another deathrender question.

No. As the ability resolves, you may "put a creature card from your hand into play and attach Deathrender to it." There is only one choice to make there.