is printing tokens ok?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it ok to print images of the lorwyn tokens to use in tourneys?

Such as the 1/1 white kithkin soldier etc.

or is this frowned upon?
That is legal and not frowned up at all. I would even encourage it, since it's much better to make clear wether it is tapped or not, etc.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

That is legal and not frowned up at all. I would even encourage it, since it's much better to make clear wether it is tapped or not, etc.

Are you sure about that? I know you can make your own tokens, but making copies of a copyrighted piece of artwork seems questionable to me. Do you have a link to somewhere where WotC is officially giving permission for us to make copies of those tokens? WotC has a pretty consistent history of cracking down on ANY infringement of their copyrighted material, no matter how insignificant it may seem to us.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Are you sure about that? I know you can make your own tokens, but making copies of a copyrighted piece of artwork seems questionable to me. Do you have a link to somewhere where WotC is officially giving permission for us to make copies of those tokens? WotC has a pretty consistent history of cracking down on ANY infringement of their copyrighted material, no matter how insignificant it may seem to us.

I dont know
pretty much every online card store Ive seen has images of the copyrighted cards.
And there are MANY sites that dont even sell cards that have pretty much every set on them complete, unaltered images of every single card.

WotC isnt doing a very good job of cracking down since these sites are pretty easy to find.
Or maybe its just their paying customers they are going after ?
Im new to magic but, am I right in assuming tokens are not real cards and that you do not need the actual token in hand to use it? I'm asking because of dark depths. Do I need to track down a Marit Lage token, or can I just use a blank magic card and write it's abilities on it? Going along with Dark Depths. Is there a red or white card that will remove "all" counters like Aether Snap will? It'd suck to have to toss in swamps in a red/white deck just to get Aether Snap.
DCI Touney Rules:

37. Game Markers
Game markers, such as tokens or reminders of a game effect, may not be designated by cards with identical backs as the cards in a player’s deck if the deck is unsleeved. If the deck is sleeved, game markers may not have sleeve backs identical to those on the cards in the player’s deck.
Small items (i.e. Glass beads, dice, etc...) may be used as markers and placed atop your library (for example, as a reminder for upkeep effects). Cards may not be used. These markers may not disguise the number of cards remaining in a player’s deck or completely obscure the top card of the deck.
A judge may disallow the use of game markers that may cause confusion with regard to the state of the game, or that are deemed inappropriate or offensive.

You can use anything as tokens so long as they're distinct from magic cards in play.

You can use coins, beads, token cards, pieces of lint, cups, pieces of paper, unsleeved magic cards faced down if you have sleeved cards (or vice versa), jewelry, kittens... etc.

Note: Kittens do not like being tapped.
Im new to magic but, am I right in assuming tokens are not real cards and that you do not need the actual token in hand to use it? I'm asking because of dark depths. Do I need to track down a Marit Lage token, or can I just use a blank magic card and write it's abilities on it? Going along with Dark Depths. Is there a red or white card that will remove "all" counters like Aether Snap will? It'd suck to have to toss in swamps in a red/white deck just to get Aether Snap.

You are correct that tokens are not real cards, however you sometimes get token cards in booster packs. They are used to represent "Token Creatures" but you can use anything you have, such as upside down cards, dice, post it notes etc.

Having the actual token card just makes it easier to keep track of exactly what it is and when it's tapped etc
You are correct that tokens are not real cards, however you sometimes get token cards in booster packs. They are used to represent "Token Creatures" but you can use anything you have, such as upside down cards, dice, post it notes etc.

Having the actual token card just makes it easier to keep track of exactly what it is and when it's tapped etc

Be very careful when using face down Magic cards to represent token permanents. I wouldn't recommend doing that in any format where Morph creatures exist.

And if you just meant literally upside down, I wouldn't do that ever. What happens when you tap them? They'll look just like other, non-token, tapped creatures. And if you use non-permanent cards you could find a judge called. Seriously, I'd really recommend finding something else, ANYTHING else to represent your tokens.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Be very careful when using face down Magic cards to represent token permanents. I wouldn't recommend doing that in any format where Morph creatures exist.

And if you just meant literally upside down, I wouldn't do that ever. What happens when you tap them? They'll look just like other, non-token, tapped creatures. And if you use non-permanent cards you could find a judge called. Seriously, I'd really recommend finding something else, ANYTHING else to represent your tokens.

I should have been more clear, I meant unsleeved face down cards to represent tokens when your deck is sleeved.

btw I found a good thread for token card imagesto print