Championed Creatures

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've looked, but can't find the answers to these questions:

If you Champion a creature, and the creature has tokens on it(like a +1/+1 token), are the tokens still there when the creature returns to play?

Also, is "comes into play" the same as "returns to play"? For example, Masked Admirers allows you to draw a card when it "comes into play". What happens if Masked Admirers "returns to play" after being Championed?

If you Champion a creature, and the creature has tokens on it(like a +1/+1 token), are the tokens still there when the creature returns to play?

Also, is "comes into play" the same as "returns to play"? For example, Masked Admirers allows you to draw a card when it "comes into play". What happens if Masked Admirers "returns to play" after being Championed?

Tokens and counters are not the same things. I believe you actually meant counters, and that's how I will answer.

The counters won't return to the creature because it isn't the same creature. When it returns to play, it is treated as an entirely new object. If it has any abilities (like graft) which grant it counters when it comes into play, it will get a whole new set of counters as if you had just summoned it.

Comes into play has specific rules meaning. Returns to play, afaik, is just another way of saying the same thing. Returns to play is probably written to sound nicer, but has no significance.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Counters not tokens.

The creature comes into play just as if you put it into play with something like Elvish Piper. It won't remember how many counters it had, but it will get new counters if it is something like Simic Initiate.

And yes, returning to play and coming into play are the same thing. CiP abilities will trigger.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

No. The creature is treated as an entirely new card. If it would naturally have no counters, then it returns with no counters.

Returning really means the same as putting. Something being put into play does come into play since previously it wasn't but now it is.
Wow, you guys are fast!

I haven't played in a while, hence the token/counter confusion .

That's what I thought for counters-- that they would go away (it seemed intuitive), but then someone told me otherwise so I thought I'd check.

Thank you very much.
Sign In to post comments