CoP vs. Shroud

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, here it is. Someone attacked me with a blue creature that had shroud on it ( via cloak and dagger). My natural response was to prevent the damage with my CoP Blue, to which he replied I could not because of shroud.

Because its not really a spell in terms of sorcery or enchantment, and because its not an activated ability in terms of a creatures activated ability, would my CoP Blue work, or is it considered targetting his blue creature even though "target" is not in CoP Blue'stext.

Any technicalities you can give me would help as well, this guys a stiff.
Thanks for making card links, but for future reference, auto-carding is easier:
[noparse]Cloak and Dagger[/noparse] -> Cloak and Dagger
Because its not really a spell in terms of sorcery or enchantment, and because its not an activated ability in terms of a creatures activated ability,

CoP blue does have an activated ability. the fact that it is not on a creature doesnt change anything. (You can identify activated abilities by the format "[cost] : [effect]")
or is it considered targetting his blue creature even though "target" is not in CoP Blue's text.

You've hit upon the critical word: "target". If a spell or ability doesn't say target, then it does not target*. Choosing is not the same as targetting.
415. Targeted Spells and Abilities

415.2. An activated or triggered ability is targeted if it uses the phrase “target [something],” where the “something” is a phrase that describes an object, player, or zone.

*The word "target" may not be visible on the card if it is a keyword ability, such as Cloak and Dagger's "Equip ". Also, Aura spells target.
If your stiff needs more convincing, have him compare TARGET-rules with this:

[INDENT]419.8. Sources of Damage

419.8a Some effects apply to damage from a source—for example, “The next time a red source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.” If an effect requires a player to choose a source, he or she may choose a permanent; a spell on the stack (including an artifact, creature, enchantment, planeswalker spell); any card or permanent referred to by an object on the stack; or a creature that assigned combat damage on the stack, even if the creature is no longer in play or is no longer a creature. The source is chosen when the effect is created. If the player chooses a permanent, the effect will apply to the next damage from that permanent, regardless of whether it’s from one of that permanent’s abilities or combat damage dealt by it. If the player chooses an artifact, creature, enchantment, planeswalker spell, the effect will apply to any damage from that spell and from the permanent that it becomes when it resolves.[/INDENT]

As can be seen, the word TARGET is nowhere mentioned above.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

Sign In to post comments