Untap Symbol

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I am 99% sure about how the untap symbol would work, but I need clarification before Shadowmoor comes out and I get my butt handed to me in a tournament. I know you couldn't use Imperious Perfect's Gtap, put a 1/1 elf warrior into play while the perfect is tapped, that's common sense. But could you use the untap symbol if the creature with the activated ability is untapped? Or would I have to wait until Order of The Whiteclay per say has been around for a turn (if summoning sickness effects the untap symbol, which makes sense that it would) AND the Order is tapped? I am assuming that the creature would have to be tapped to untap it with the Order, but as I said I don't want to lose 'cause of a mis-interpretation of the rules. I know there isn't an official ruling for the untap symbol, but there has to be a rule about untapping and untapped creature as a cost or whatever.
In general, it's not possible to untap an untapped creature, any more than it's possible to tap a tapped creature. (Note that effects that try to tap an already-tapped creature will fail to do the impossible action, but other effects will still apply. However, you can't pay a cost that involves tapping a tapped creature, because costs must be paid in full. And all indications are that the untap symbol, like the tap symbol, is a cost.) While it must be emphasized that nothing is official until the rules come out, it's virtually certain that you won't be able to play an ability with an untap symbol in its cost unless the affected permanent is tapped, because you won't be able to pay the cost.
The rules do not recognize any such thing as an Untap symbol. You will have to wait until the Rules Primer is released, probably on April 18th, before you can get an official answer to such questions.
In general, it's not possible to untap an untapped creature, any more than it's possible to tap a tapped creature. While it must be emphasized that nothing is official until the rules come out, it's virtually certain that you won't be able to play an ability with an untap symbol in its cost unless the affected permanent is tapped, because you won't be able to pay the cost.

Thank you, I was almost absolutely sure but a little clarification helps. I guess to make sure I will have to wait for Wizards.
The section of the Shadowmoor rules primer that covers the untap symbol was released in a preview article today.

The untap symbol is the analog of the tap symbol. Represented as {Q} in rules documents, it looks like a white J-shaped arrow (with the arrowhead pointing up) on a black circle.

* The untap symbol appears only in the costs of activated abilities. It means "Untap this permanent."

* If the permanent is already untapped, you can't play its {Q} ability. That's because you can't pay the "Untap this permanent" cost.

* The "summoning sickness" rule applies to {Q}. If a creature with an {Q} ability hasn't been under your control since your most recent turn began, you can't play that ability. Ignore this rule if the creature also has haste.

* When you play an {Q} ability, you untap the creature with that ability as a cost. The untap can't be responded to. (The actual ability can be responded to, of course.)

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

Sign In to post comments