Response to tapping land

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
In response to tapping my land for mana can my opponent use a card like ghost quarter, (it reads: Sacrifice Ghost Quarter: Destroy target land. Its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put it into play, then shuffle his or her library.), to destroy my land to prevent me from getting the mana I tapped it for?

Thanks very much
No.

First of all, playing a Mana ability does not use the Stack and can not be responded to.

Second, once activated/triggered, abilities exist independent of their source.
No, for a few reasons.

First, mana abilities do not use the stack. There is no time in between playing the ability and getting the mana at which any player can play any spells or abilities, let alone time for an ability to get played and resolve.

Second, even if mana abilities did use the stack, destroying the land in response wouldn't stop you from getting the mana. Once activated or triggered, an ability exists without regard to its source, so destroying that source doesn't stop the ability from resolving. For instance, if you Terror a Prodigal Pyromancer in response to its ability being played, the damage will still be dealt.
Ok, thanks guys, I did not know that... I thought the opposite was true regarding the pyromancer example.
Sign In to post comments