Mistbind Clique - Mana Floating

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know that in MTG the one thing that you cannot deny someone is their mana, because if you try to tap their land they can tap it in response, etc. So I am wondering how exactly the mistbind clique works?

If I have a damnation in hand, and my opponents turn ends (my opponent is playing U/B faeries) and on my upkeep they play the clique, can I tap 4 lands in response and float the mana if the lands were untapped when they dropped the clique? And if not will someone explain in detail why.
You can tap the land in response to the Clique, but you have to use the mana you produced by the end of the phase (the Upkeep step is located in the Beginning Phase), which, the Beginning Phase ends at the Draw Step, so unless you can use the mana before the end of the Draw Step, you will take mana burn. So if you wanted to play Damnation, you wouldn't be able to without and help.
First of all, Mana abilities do not use the Stack and can not be responded to.

Second, assuming your opponent is going to make a 'good' play, they'll play the Clique in your Beginning Phase.
While you can your Lands in response, you will have to use that in the Beginning Phase, or you'll lose life to Mana Burn.
Either way, you won't be able to play the Sorcery, since it's not your Main Phase.
I know that in MTG the one thing that you cannot deny someone is their mana, because if you try to tap their land they can tap it in response, etc. So I am wondering how exactly the mistbind clique works?

If I have a damnation in hand, and my opponents turn ends (my opponent is playing U/B faeries) and on my upkeep they play the clique, can I tap 4 lands in response and float the mana if the lands were untapped when they dropped the clique? And if not will someone explain in detail why.

You can't do this, at least not if you hope to use the mana for the Damnation. Your mana pool drains at the end of every phase, so at the end of your Beginning phase (end of the Draw step), you will lose the mana along with 1 life for each such unspent mana. This is known as mana burn. Since you can't normally play Damnation until your Main phase, this will stop you from playing it. You may use the mana for instants and activated abilities, however, including the card you draw in your Draw step if it happens to be an Instant (or have Flash).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
How about this scenario....

they play mistbind clique in my beginning phase, and I have three islands untapped, can I tap three lands before the clique taps them and then psionic blast the clique?
Yes, that's possible.
While still on subject is this legal....

Last FNM this scenario happened. A guy activates two mutavaults, I drop a cryptic command and say that I will tap all his creatures and make him pick up the rack that he had in play. He had 4 lands total, two regular, two mutavaults, he tapped the other two to activate the vaults. He responds to my cryptic by tapping one mutavault for mana and says he is "floating the mana" and then uses it to play the rack again during his second main phase.
Well, what Phase was the Command played in?

Assuming it was played in the Beginning of Combat step, then the Mana would have been emptied from their Mana Pool, causing 'Mana Burn' as the Combat Phase ended.
Thus, that Mana did not exist, and could not have been used to play the Rack in their Main Phase.
While still on subject is this legal....

Last FNM this scenario happened. A guy activates two mutavaults, I drop a cryptic command and say that I will tap all his creatures and make him pick up the rack that he had in play. He had 4 lands total, two regular, two mutavaults, he tapped the other two to activate the vaults. He responds by tapping one mutavault for mana and says he is "floating the mana" and then uses it to play the rack again during his second main phase.

That depends. Did you play the Cryptic Command during his post-combat main phase?

300.1. A turn consists of five phases, in this order: beginning, precombat main, combat, postcombat main, and end. Each of these phases takes place every turn, even if nothing happens during the phase. The beginning, combat, and end phases are further broken down into steps, which proceed in order.

300.3. When a phase ends (but not a step), any unused mana left in a player’s mana pool is lost. That player loses 1 life for each one mana lost this way. This is called mana burn. Mana burn is loss of life, not damage, so it can’t be prevented or altered by effects that affect damage. This game action doesn’t use the stack. (See rule 406, "Mana Abilities.")

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Well, what Phase was the Command played in?

Assuming it was played in the Beginning of Combat step, then the Mana would have been emptied from their Mana Pool, causing 'Mana Burn' as the Combat Phase ended.
Thus, that Mana did not exist, and could not have been used to play the Rack in their Main Phase.

Exactly, I didn't want to take the damage, as I had nothing to block, so I layed down the command at beginning of combat and tapped the two vaults and made him pick up his rack since he had nothing to lay it down again with, that's when he said he would tap one and float the mana. Then he played the rack in his 2nd main, but he said you could float it until end of turn, which now I realize is wrong, because if that was the case the mistbind clique would be 50 cents and not 5 bucks, lol. I was saving myself 7 damage by playing the command then, and had vaults of my own to swing for the win after that if i didn't have to take the rack damage. So I should not have lost. Lesson learned the hard way there.
Sign In to post comments