Moving Auras and Triggered Ability Timing

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just have a few questions about the timing for a casual deck I'm working on/playing...

Now, using Simic Guildmage (or any of the others...) I want to move enchantments around like;

Blight
Psychic Venom
Pooling Venom
etc...

Now timing wise, if an opponent chooses to tap a land enchanted with any of them, the tapping of the land doesn't use the stack, but the triggered ability from the aura can be responded to. Therefore triggered ability hits stack, I move aura with Guildmage. Right? Right..

Pooling Venom Specifically, I can pay the destroy cost, and then respond to that with Simic's ability, therefore having a recurring land destruction effect for . Right?

If I have War's Toll in play, and an opponent taps a land for mana, now a triggered ability from War's Toll to tap all his or her lands goes on the stack. Since all lands are being tapped simultaneously, I can only move any of these Auras and achieve the effect on a new land once, right?

Any other tricks with Aura switching and timing (as per what I'm goin on about here) would be appreciated..
I just have a few questions about the timing for a casual deck I'm working on/playing...

Now, using Simic Guildmage (or any of the others...) I want to move enchantments around like;

Blight
Psychic Venom
Pooling Venom
etc...

Now timing wise, if an opponent chooses to tap a land enchanted with any of them, the tapping of the land doesn't use the stack, but the triggered ability from the aura can be responded to. Therefore triggered ability hits stack, I move aura with Guildmage. Right? Right..

Right.

Pooling Venom Specifically, I can pay the destroy cost, and then respond to that with Simic's ability, therefore having a recurring land destruction effect for . Right?

No. The ability affects the object the aura is attached to when the ability resolves.
Attach
If an ability of the moved Aura affecting “enchanted [object]” was on the stack when the Aura moved, it will affect the new enchanted object when it resolves, not the old one.

If I have War's Toll in play, and an opponent taps a land for mana, now a triggered ability from War's Toll to tap all his or her lands goes on the stack. Since all lands are being tapped simultaneously, I can only move any of these Auras and achieve the effect on a new land once, right?

Any other tricks with Aura switching and timing (as per what I'm goin on about here) would be appreciated..

Right, all the other lands are being tapped at the same time so the aura will either be on one of them or none of them.

Tips and tricks belong in the Card Strategies and Comboes forum. We in the Rules Q&A can confirm that you are getting the rules behind it correct, but we can't help you figure out strategies.

Blight
Psychic Venom
Pooling Venom
etc...

The only one of those you can really do anything interesting with is Blight, since it destroys "it," the land that triggered Blight's ability. The Venoms can be moved after they've been triggered so that tapping a land in a later phase will trigger them again, but that's it.

No. The activated ability destroys whatever land the Venom is attached to as the ability resolves, and once it does, the Venom will go to the graveyard before you can move it.

There's really nothing you can accomplish by moving the Auras with War's Toll unless they tap the enchanted land for mana (and why would they if there are other lands to be tapped?) Note that if they do tap the enchanted land and you activate the Guildmage's ability, they could tap another land for mana in response to the Guildmage's ability, so that the lands would already be tapped by the time the Aura moves unless you activate the Guildmage again.
Sign In to post comments