Tokens count as 'come into play'

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick question.

With an ability like Essence Warden's:

[INDENT]Whenever another creature comes into play, you gain 1 life.[/INDENT]

creature tokens would, in fact, activate this ability, right?

For example, if Jedit Ojanen of Efrava's ability is activated, I would gain one life if I had Essence Warden in play.
None of these cards have activated abilities, they have triggered abilities.

But yes, if Jedit Ojanen of Efrava makes a token that triggers the Essence Warden. Something is 'coming into play' if it wasn't in play before and is now.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Okay, thanks We thought so but wanted to make certain ;)

And .. sorry about the terminology mishaps. I'm still pretty new to magic in general .. activated abilities are ones that you have to say "I'm using this ability" and triggered ones are ones where a certain condition must be met in order to use it?
activated abilities are ones that you have to say "I'm using this ability" and triggered ones are ones where a certain condition must be met in order to use it?

Yes, pretty much.

Activated abilities are always in the form "[cost] : [effect]" (notice the colon). Prodigal Pyromancer has an example of an activated ability. To play it, you deliberately announce it, choose its targets (if necessary), and pay its costs (to the nitpickers, yes, i'm ommitting some occasional steps).

Triggered abilities happen on their own in response to whatever situation they are looking for. Triggered abilities begin with one of the following words: "When", "whenever", or "at".

Any other ability is called a "static ability". Static abilities, such as the one on Glorious Anthem, simply exist. As long as they are relevant, they have their effect.
Sign In to post comments