TARGETED

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey every1!

Umm, just a quick question. If I have a card, let's say Opaline Sliver, and an opponent targets it with a Counter spell, or any other targeted removal card, and I play my Counter spell to counter the opponents, do I still draw a card? Because, countered or not countered, the opponents spell still has to target something no matter what...and therefore triggers Opaline Slivers ability.

Can any1 answer my question?

Thanks!!
Well, the ability of the Opaline Sliver only works while it's in play, not while it's on the stack. So if you play the Sliver and they try to counter it, the Sliver's ability cannot trigger since it is not in play. If the Sliver is already in play, it cannot be targeted by the Counterspell, since it is no longer a spell at this point, but a permanent.

But if you're asking if your opponent targeted your Sliver with something like Terror and you counter the Terror with some counterspell, yes, you'll still draw the card. The Sliver's ability triggers on the spell being played targeting the Sliver. It says nothing about that spell having to resolve, so you'll be able to draw even if the spell ends up being countered.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Well, the ability of the Opaline Sliver only works while it's in play, not while it's on the stack. So if you play the Sliver and they try to counter it, the Sliver's ability cannot trigger since it is not in play. If the Sliver is already in play, it cannot be targeted by the Counterspell, since it is no longer a spell at this point, but a permanent.

Just another two cents, but it should be noted that even if Opaline Sliver IS in play to grant its ability to all other Slivers, Sliver spells on the stack are not Sliver creatures, not until they come into play. A spell that targets a sliver spell is not targeting a sliver creature. (And for that matter, since a sliver spell is not an actual Sliver yet, it won't even be granted the Opaline ability)
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok